Process for Upgrading RPI4 -> RPI4 with more RAM

I’m looking to upgrade my setup, which is a RPI4 with 2GB of RAM to a new RPI4 with 8GB of RAM (I’ve been running some media on it and struggling with some InfluxDB memory issues that I’m hoping to bring this in as a stopgap measure for while I migrate to a InfluxDB cloud).

I know that when you upgrade from an RPI3 → RPI4 or RPI4 → RPI5, you can’t just swap the memory card because the base image is different for RPI 3, 4 and 5. But if I’m upgrading from an RPI4 to another RPI4, can I just swap the SD card?

SD cards are cheap, why not install a new HAOS and restore from backup? That way if it goes horribly wrong you still have a working system. A new SD card potentially reduces the chance of future failure. I’d also take the opportunity to upgrade to a larger SD card or better still a SSD.

Apart from saving you a little bit of time and money for me the risks outweigh the benefit.

In theory can’t see an issue though.

1 Like

Yes. There is only one image for the Pi4.
https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/raspberrypi#downloading-the-home-assistant-image

1 Like

Great point. I’ll do that. I actually already have an SSD for everything but HAOS. I thought you needed an SD card for that, no?