Product Review: GE Hinge Pin Smart Door Sensor

Anyone tried to replace the batteries in one of these yet? My hinge stopped reporting the other day so I replaced the batteries. It’s been working fine for about a year so I assumed it was the battery. Now I’m beginning to wonder if something else happened. I can see it broadcasting as node 4 to OZW logs, but HA doesn’t recognize it and it’s got a strange entry in the ozwcfg file. Any thoughts? I’m about to unpair and re-pair the device and see if that works.

Battery replacement was fine. No action required afterwards.

I had one of 3 go on the fritz a while back. Had to exclude it reset to factory then include it again. Had to change the reporting again too. had to come back to this thread because I forgot the settings.

same here. Stinks that it didn’t apparently didn’t retain it’s settings after the battery went dead for a while. But it’s back in operation now. Only took about an hour to find everywhere it was referenced in groups and automations. LOL

If you know how to delete old entity_ids from the .storage entity registry, you don’t have to do any searching. Just delete the old entity after excusion. Include the new one, and rename it to the old entity_id. I can show you how to safely edit the entity_registry. Hopefully in the future we will have a way to remove old entity_id’s from that via the UI.

that would be great if we could do it from the UI. In the meantime, please show me how to delete them from the entity_registry. I tried deleting the old one from the zwave config file but it just came right back. I’m guessing that one is populated based on what’s on the zstick.

Well, did you remove the dead node?

Does anyone have one of these sensors that will occasionally report a state of 254 after a restart?

Flipping the sensor will get it back to reporting 23 = closed and 22 = open. The 254 state happens after a restart randomly.

I have another of the same sensor that doesn’t have this issue.

I have 2 of these and after multiple quick reboots. Like 3 reboots with 10 minutes they both so this.

Interesting. I wonder why one of mine never does it and the other does regularly?

Distance maybe?

probably asleep and reports the 254 as a “unknown” value. Then when the door is opened or closed it triggers an update. When you reboot and it comes back with a value, you probably just caught it during an awake cycle.