Professional/Commercial Use?

I agree, ThomasDC… I have been mucking around with DIY stuff around (initially) X10, and later add-on Z-wave and Hue and a RFXtrx433E… There’s this beginner’s guide on YT (why does everything have to be video nowadays? Just give me a written HT doc I can follow step by step already!) that takes 20 minutes… I tuned out at the 2nd or 3rd mention of ‘edit a yaml file’…
I am at a stage where I just want sh*t to work, not mess around with editing text config files if I want a light to turn on when a motion sensor activates!

Francesco did you manage to get your RFXtrx to work? If so… HOW? Thx :wink:

Yes, mine is connected to a VeraLite, using the plug-in for RFXtrx support, which acts as my main gateway at this time… I pretty much gave up on HASS as it is just too much manual messing around…

It receives and sends X10, KAKU, HomeEasy and Oregon Scientific signals for me…

At this point my limited amount of avalable time combined with the WAF just require stuff to work out of the box, or it doesn’t get implemented…

Despite all it’s shortcomings, VeraLite does that better than HASS at this time!

Once there, the upper right menu will take you into the raw configuration mode, for more flexibility.

Well not quite. You still have to comply with the Apache licence, or you have no right to use home assistant at all.

Hi,
I am curious as to how your setup is going with your clients?
I have a few questions if you have encountered issues with the lifespan/longevity for the RPIs, power adapters and fans if you have them on the cases.
One other area that concerns me is with updates. I am on the fence with enabling auto updates. As a network and security engineer, I know why auto updates are good. However, if you could limit those devices visibility to the internet, except through the HA tunnel to the smartphone, that is the best and could lower your risk for not updating IoT, HA, etc.

Sometimes proprietary devices may auto update for enhancements, bug fixes, etc. I am wondering if those ever break integration with HA, versus the HA plugins and OS auto updating and breaking integrations accidentally?
Specifically thinking for HUE bridge, Alexa, Smarthings, thermostats. Some of the bigger name brands people may use to support existing devices that have that could auto update.

Thanks!

I’ve had a few hiccups along the way with the Pi. When it come to updates, most of my clients are on the original version of hassio from when I installed it due to everything working correctly for their use case.
I have had to re flash the image on a couple controllers due to updates with their system and hassio not updating for some reason.
The biggest issue I’ve run into is Alexa integration with the emulated hue component. For some reason Devices sometimes are unable to be controlled directly via Alexa, but scenes are.

As for the hardware, I haven’t had to replace a single Pi or SD card and the oldest deployment I have I believe is going on 3 years.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
It looks like there is a big push for Home Assistant Cloud for Alexa integration.
I am completely new to HassOS, but have had a VeraLite for years. I am looking to expand and set up for clients as well, but am trying to iron out a solid plan and use the most versatile stable controller it fit all automation needs. Obviously there is Control4 and Crestron, but I see an opportunity for lower costs hardware for customers with a Pi if I get them working flawlessly.

I would wait for HA 1.x before I’d consider using it for commercial use, unless you’re getting paid for support.

1 Like

I use this and it is mostly flawless… add nabu casa (starting to look into subscription model and annuity incomes which are super important if you ever want to sell your business)

I am reviving this topic as I found it extremely useful in getting myself started with my own company in the smart home space within the Dallas area (where I currently live).
I have decided to go commercial recently as I found HA reliable for my use case (ie I offer clients a hassio based control panel with a custom user interface) for over a year now.
As far as Alexa goes I have implemented haaska and I have never had issues with it (the downside being it takes some time to set up).

I do state beforehand both on the company website and to the clients that the solution is based off of Home Assistant and I explain to them what that means.
I believe that as long as the server is safe to use and doesn’t causes any hiccups in their daily use there won’t be any concerns on their side.
@oobie11 I offer remote assistance to the clients so that I can always update their system when an update comes up.

I’d be interested in hearing if anybody else chose a similar route and what the outcome was.

2 Likes

@coolmonkey5 how are you handling passwords? Everything is clear text in secrets.yaml and I really don’t want to know anyone’s passwords for anything or even have access to them in any way.

I have remote access to my clients at all time. Trust is key here …

I put an agreement in place beforehand with clients where I won’t access the secrets.yaml unless needed (usually just initial set up). Alternatively you can use credstash (I do not use this method)

1 Like

hi there would you provide your pricing list as a reference for me to start up some HA service in malaysia?

It’s just per hour :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be great if there was an accreditation we could pursue… like a HA Academy or something… that would also be a great resource for new customers decreasing support requests… unless you are billing…:sunglasses: we could also even team up under an umbrella company and then there could be a “find an installer near you” link through to the umbrella company which will then advise on local installers… i am just spitballing here now, but finding myself now out of work… I need to decide what I want to do next, and to me, this would be it… any thoughts?

1 Like

what do you mean by per hour? service hour of installations?

I have been using ha to run my water filtration system for my business for a few years