Progress indicator when Restoring from Backup

I’m wondering if it is the size of the home-assistant_v2.db file ? Mine used to be quite small, now it can hit 5Gb in just a couple of days (that’s another problem for another day) but 5Gb of anything is going to take a while to wade through? I might be wrong but it seems a decent theory !

Linking to my post:

I’ve only done one restore and one backup, so fwiw:
Restoring a 6.5MB backup to a new HA image on an RPi4, watching the chasing circle for ~45mins, I finally tried hitting refresh [F5] after reading that thread, and the page updated to the expected configuration.

It appears the chasing circle page didn’t update when done? So maybe it’s not “progress” we’re not seeing, but the page simply not updating?

Thanks to the community for their help for this newbie.

Or even just output of the processes…

2 Likes

This is desperately needed! I’m currently restoring a backup to a new system, but the never ending circle tells me nothing. When I refreshed the webpage it prompted me to restore again. Totally unhelpful!

4 Likes

i’ve waited for over 15 hours and nothing, it told me big backups could take up to 45 minutes but after reading this was bull and it could take 3 hours i decided to let it run over night, but after 15 hours i decided to give up. i restored backups before and those worked perfectly.

1 Like

6gb wow mine was 2 and it just wouldn’t do anything

1 Like

I would really like this feature.

I’m using relatively beefy Proxmox instance with 4 cores of a 3900x, 8GB allocated RAM for the VM, and all is on an NVME SSD drive. The backup is only have a 50MB backup.

So I expect it to be quick.

However now I don’t know if this is a quirk of the particular way these backups are done that it is taking half an hour already, or that I have made an error somehow (e.g. assuming that I can use the backup from a previous docker container setup for a HAOS VM).

Or perhaps something else is going awry, but I have no idea how to troubleshoot this process.

And include a VM or Hass process reboot after the restore.
Or at least a button / notification to do so.

I noticed not all addons work without having done a reboot of the system.
Could be only a Hass process reboot would do the job without a whole system reboot.

@nick4275 Can you add this to the 1st post?
Or do you think it needs a separate topic?

1 Like

Significant improvements to backup & restore functionality are coming in the 2024.2 release.

8 Likes

The release is coming today. I’m curious to hear from anyone, once they installed all updates (core + supervisor), if their experience was better.

@codyc1515

Had a quick look and can’t see anything mention in the notes for the release - what’s new?

I’ve since switched to a mini pc and proxmox so I can do snapshots and backups on top of the HA built in backups and it’s very much more reassuring (a few seconds to jump back) to be honest.

I’m comfortable of having different levels of backups (after all I restored my PI4 config to the new miniPC and it worked well) but the original request is valid - some sort of log or indication of how it’s going would be super welcome.

Majority of the changes happened in the frontend or supervisor but there were some in core too. These aren’t mentioned for some reason in the release notes.

1 Like

Edit - read the posts before mine, going to wait and see if this was addressed.

Voted. No improvement for me – this is the first time i’ve had to restore (i was on the latest 2.3 i think it was) and there is NO indicator if the backup is ongoing or not, if it’s done, what’s going on. I’m just sitting here wasting my time staring at a screen.

1 Like

Can confirm. Just bought a Pi 5 and did a 3.5GB restore in maybe 10-15 minutes (amazing!) but did not receive any indication that the backup was completed.

1 Like

Progress indicator, or better, some form of basic log output so we know it’s doing something and not stalled.

Support for states are actually there in the Supervisor API but no one built the Frontend elements required for that yet.

I agree something is needed to let you know where the restore of the backup is. A while back I got burned by an update (or so I am led to believe) and the restores which for me take 10-15 mins went on for close to an hour. I had enough and re-built and had another backup which restored most of my stuff.

This is needed. Doubt my half cent will help the cause but just adding my own experience here.

1 Like

Could it be that backup encryption is an influencing factor?
My last recovery of a backup on an RPi4 took more than 2 hours, and the backup is only 340MB.
I then setup a VM on my Proxmox server and recovered the same backup, took still nearly one hour.
I setup another VM on Proxmox and recovered a backup from two weeks before with 300MB in size, and that was done in 20 minutes.
The only difference between those two backups besides the 40MB in size were that the smaller one did not have any password on it, the other one had.

I have now also voted for the progress indicator, watching 2 hours at “connection lost, re-establishing” was a bigt frightening.

15 minutes of backup recovery for 3,5GB on a RPi5 do not sound right to me, not sure how that should work in relation.

I’m currently restoring my backup of ~500mb on a Raspberry Pi 4 and I still do not have an indicator of the progress. I’ve had it run earlier and I left my workspace to go do things. I came back and it sort of didn’t continue. So I’m trying it again and I still don’t have anything to indicate progress.