Project idea: Emulating a tuya lock for using a BT keypad as stand alone device over MQTT

Hi there,

I bought a cheap battery driven Bluetooth tuya keypad. My idea was to open my already smart garage door with this pad.
But it seems, that this pad can only paired with an tuya lock. It recognize a virtual lock created in tuya developer account. But I cannot pair the keypad, because the lock is virtual.

So my idea was to create a “tuya Bluetooth to MQTT” device with an ESP32. This device should emulate a tuya BT lock which I can bind to the keypad. It should send the “open” command over MQTT to Home Assistant. I found no other solution which have this functionality.

Can anyone help me to realize this project with ESPHome?

IDK what you consider cheap but there are already keypads available that are cheap, easy to integrate and dont use the dumpster fire known as Tuya. These are 20$ and ive been really liking mine.

The difference is, the tuya keypad is battery driven. So you do not need to lay any cables.

Oh, I didnt realize 30min of labor to run a 2 conductor wire was just to much work and out of the question. Seems pretty minimal and a bad deal when you factor in the never ending responsibility of monitoring batteries, buying and stocking batteries, changing batteries, batteries dying and losing access… sounds like a good plan.