Project Wood Clock created for working with Home assistant (ESPHome + Addressable LED)

Hello everyone,

I’m delighted to join this passionate Home Assistant community! Let me introduce myself: I’m Pierre-Antoine Chesnel and I’ve been a designer for several years (chesnel.ca). I’ve often been very “conservative” about my ideas, but this dynamic community has deeply inspired me, prompting me to think about how I could leverage my skills and experience to create everyday objects integrating home automation that are aesthetically pleasing.

My most recent project, which I’m currently working on, is a clock I’ve named “Clock 60”. This clock uses 60 RGB LEDs to represent the time over a 24-hour period. Each hour is symbolized by 5 LEDs, and the representation of minutes is defined by 1 LED. When the minute falls within an hour segment (5 LEDs), it is off; otherwise, it is on. Here are some examples of time representation :blush:

CHECK HERE! (no photo embeded for me know :D)
Atelier Chesnel on Instagram: "Petit défi réussi 🤩 qui est de pouvoir visualiser 24h sur cette horloge au lieu du traditionnel 12h. (Vidéo en accéléré :p)#design #clock #time #LED #wood #artisan #mtl #light #interactive #furniture"

you will find some photos and videos of the design (few at the moment) here: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMY0g9XEdsSPp4MekAu_uS2owpCptuvtdcJVihujaj8GOsXhh7yNRmSsPm7E0dhFA?key=VWJqQ0VNSkpzRENxSTFiZm1feDgzQTRNLU9BMXd3

I’m currently in the prototyping phase and working to make this project as accessible as possible. My goal is to offer several versions of the Clock 60:

1. A DIY version, with all the plans and instructions needed to build it yourself.
  2. A ready-to-use version for those who prefer a plug-and-play solution.
  3. Making available only the parts that I manufacture in my workshop, the wooden parts.

For the moment the clock works with an AtomS3 lite + WS8212. The code is written and integrated with ESPHome. The idea is that the clock could work for people who do not have Home Assistant (just by connecting it to their WIFI network) or those who are on Home Assistant, by integrating it with ESPHome :blush:. And have a bunch of configuration possible with it :

• Change the color
  • Use for notification alert
  • Show next meeting Oultook with blue color on the hour and minute

Right now I’m trying to find the best way to diffuse LED light. Not 100% satisfied with it yet

I Have a small version 9.5 inch with the strip of 144 LED by meter (only 60 use)
or the big one 13 inch with the 60 LED by meter

I’m eager to share more about my project and to receive your feedback and suggestions. Feel free to check out the links and videos I’ve shared to see my progress so far.

PS: I have plenty of other ideas and prototypes in mind that follow this approach, and I’d love to share them with the community.

See you soon,

1 Like

Can you put the video in your post? It’s very clever.

1 Like

you can find the video on this link : Atelier Chesnel on Instagram: "Petit défi réussi 🤩 qui est de pouvoir visualiser 24h sur cette horloge au lieu du traditionnel 12h. (Vidéo en accéléré :p)#design #clock #time #LED #wood #artisan #mtl #light #interactive #furniture" I’m not allowed right know to embded video or photo because it’s my first post :slight_smile:

Very cool. I also tinker with CNC projects. This is a really interesting concept.
Will be interested to see how things progress so will be watching.

1 Like

I Try again for showing one photo :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok so I understand for know I can only share one by one :smiley:
Just for the understanding of the concept