Proper Alarm System

it’s a shame there is still no proper Alarm System build into Home Assistant by default, after all these years. This is one, if not the #1 priority for most people … don’t get why people are happy with Alarmo

I have my alarm system fully integrated in HA. What’s stopping you from building one yourself?

There’s plenty of door / window sensors, sirens etc. available that you can integrate.

2 Likes

Based off what I see here, Reddit, the forum, etc that’s not the case. Alarms are pretty far down the list, after lighting, music, etc.

Because it does what they want without needing special hardware?

The stock manual alarm isn’t bad, and for many will work well enough. No developer has yet felt the need to create something more and invested the effort in getting it merged.

PS: This isn’t really a feature request. If you want to re-work it into one I’ll leave it here, otherwise I’ll move it to the general support section.

3 Likes

Probably because most people (or at least, I would hope) who are integrating their alarms into Home Assistant are using a real alarm panel like an Ademco/Honeywell and integrating it in via a communication module (ie. AlarmDecoder). This may be required by jurisdictions rather than a home-brew system, and most certainly by insurance companies.

8 Likes

This is a lot similar to another request to make alarm functionality part of core:

1 Like

Where’s your reference for that? Anecdotally, I don’t see this.

2 Likes

A proper alarm system requires professional central station monitoring and 100% uptime, neither of which HA can perform.

You would be surprised at how cheap Honeywell/Ademco alarm panels and wired contact switches are, and HA can interface with it to read contacts and operate the panel using AlarmDecoder or the ESP32 project that I can’t recall off the top of my head…

This :point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up::point_up:

1 Like

Because it works. I would be interested to know what functionality you think a built in alarm system would have that Alarmo doesn’t and further to that what you think isn’t “proper” about Alarmo. Maybe I’m missing something.

So similar in fact that I am closing this as a duplicate.

Please vote and comment there.

I would have merged the votes from this one into the older FR but it has 0 votes, so no point.

6 Likes