Proxmox Install of HassOS - How To Free Up Local-LVM Storage?

I’ve got Home Assistant installed in Proxmox using the HassOS image, but I’ve noticed that my local hard disk consumption continues to grow rapidly in Proxmox. My HA instance believes it is only consuming 30% of the available space, but the actual allocation in the local-lvm storage went from 40GB to 52GB in 3 weeks.

I have no idea what is consuming this space as there is nothing else running on this box other than Proxmox and the HassOS image. What could be causing this?

And more importantly, what can I do to prevent it from filling up? I had the SSD filled accidentally previously when I was running a Windows VM as well, but I’ve removed that and nothing new is active or configured on this device.

Advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Maybe a growing database? What size is your home-assistant_v2.db ?

It’s 2.5GB, but I’ve switched to MySQL in Docker on my NAS. I thought that might of been the problem first, but the HA instance shows 70% of free space available (60GB allocated).

i’m also seeing the same issue, try this: Proxmox storage - #3 by Dominic

doesn’t clear, please can you explain how to?

every day, my local-lvm increase and i don’t know why

same here. I could really use a pointer on how to clear the space or how to automate that process.

I’m wondering if it’s because I’m using an SSD and it’s not automatically trimming or something…

My HA instance previously became unresponsive due to full disk, which I determined was due to Proxmox snapshots filling the space. I’ve disabled that now, so I’m not sure how I will fix once it does fill up local-lvm the next time…

1 Like

Same issue here. My LVM-thin is reporting close to 100% full, the data volume is set to 30G size.

df -h /dev/sda8
/dev/sda8 28.8G 14.2G 13.1G 52% /mnt/data

So there is a big discrepancy between what HA is thinking it is using and what proxmox thinks that it is using. I’ve set up trim on both the HassOS and proxmox, but it does not solve the problem.

I do also have this problem. I did put more disksize to Local-LVM but still almost 100%.

I hope someone has a sollution to fix this.

I can’t understand why your VM’s assigned disks can take up your entire disk… you assign VM 32GB of space and then it uses up to that 32GB.

I used this install method, configured a 32GB disk and along with other CT volumes, uses 60-odd GB of space on the local-lvm partition.

1 Like

Faced a similar issue. Proxmox, Home Assistant VM (it’s vm100 for me), and Ubuntu Server (vm101) are on the same SSD. My local-lvm storage went to 100% usage, and I got an I/O error on the HA VM. It was stuck, and I couldn’t restart it from the Proxmox GUI.

Here are some commands that you can use to unlock the VM:

rm -f /run/lock/qemu-server/lock-100.conf # unlock VM100
qm stop 100                               # stop VM100
lvresize -L +1G /dev/pve/data             # add 1 GB to local-lvm
qm start 100                               # start HA VM100

This should allow you to boot the HA VM. However, if you stop here, your local-lvm storage will eventually fill up again. The problem is somehow connected to the TRIM mechanism, which deals with deletion/garbage collection on SSDs. Normally, TRIM is launched once a week with trim.timer/trim.service, but something is broken for me. So I launched TRIM manually. Go to VM → Shell:

# HA OS:
login
fstrim -av

# Ubuntu Server - fstrim -av does nothing so run:
systemctl start fstrim.service
# when fstrim.service finishes:
systemctl stop fstrim.service

Executing these commands took some time, but once finished, the occupied space on local-lvm went from 99% (remember, we added 1 GB with lvresize) to 49%. I still don’t know how to fix TRIM automation, but at least I have more time now.

4 Likes

I’ve same issue. I already expanded vm one time but it became unresponsive again. After the trim company there’s a way to reduce vm allocation?

I’m asking because now all the 2 vm are facing same issue.

Thanks