Proxmox VM vs LXC

i agree, but the tutorial is from 2017 and we are in 2023 so yes its tested.
like i said before, i won’t even post the tutorial here if i was not even sure about it.

so i added a note here on step 3, and people can look it up.

Decided to delete the tutorial as this is getting nuts.
I understand different opinions but facts are facts, i sold many systems the last years and never 1 system got returned (of this issue) as i maintain them when there are problems.

who ever is interested in the tutorial i will dm it.

Interesting, ‘constructive’ and informative conversation. Thanks. I too fell foul of Network Chucks advice (specifically here: https://youtu.be/_u8qTN3cCnQ?t=886), and will rebuild my Proxmox installation accordingly, just to be on the safe side. (its not too late :wink: )

Incidentally, in relation to my question about USB over IP, I think this solves it. There are a ton of very helpful people out there, kudos to them

2 Likes

You can use zigbee2mqtt for remote zigbee dongle setups. It abstracts the entire zigbee stack instead of just the USB controller.

Highly recommended since it’s very reliable and performant.

Zwavejs is also available as the zwave equivalent.

You’ll need a SBC like rpi4 (older rpis work too, but they may need to be run bare metal instead of dockerized which can be a huge pain), but this is a requirement that exists with USB over IP as well.

I’ve migrated to both zigbee2mqtt and zwavejs since last year and I’m very happy with the results.

This picture is becoming more clear to me now. I am trying to achieve a really solid Proxmox HA solution, spread across One mini PC, and two Pi4s. Learning a lot, quite enjoying the ride!

For my Electrolama ZZH Dongle, I originally thought some detached pure USB->IP transport service was the only way to achieve this (looks like a solution exists, but really isn’t mature enough for Prod).

Thanks rice12, your approach makes sense. Do you run your zigbee2mqtt install in a dedicated docker container on its own Pi4, or something else?

I run two nodes:

1. odroid XU4 with dockerized zwavejs and zigbe2mqtt. HA is also dockerized on this same box.
  2. RPI3 baremetal zwavejs. It had to be setup baremetal because the RPI3 was too old to run docker

I would imagine using LXC over VM would be harder to maintain, no? I mean if you’re comfortable with that, then okay.

i ended up with a VM. Now getting HA to use bt and zigbee dongles is trivial. With LXC it was a nightmare (i’m not even sure it’s possible, for BT)

hey malosaa, i would be interested in reading your guide as well as im looking at choosing between LCX and regular VM HA setup for my future house, thanks a lot mate

Hi Hector, i would be very interested in your tutorial, but if my research is correct, you have removed since, would you mind DM it to me?

cheers

Yes of course, sorry for the late reply i was really busy last months

My two cents to HA Home assistant. At the moment I’m gradually moving to this concept implementation.

There are mini pc with two m.2 or. M.2 and sata interfaces on the second hand market. This would allow to install proxmox on one drive and keep second drive for CEPH.A cluster to three nodes can provide high availability for VM and CEPH will take care of data. VM seems a bit better solution in terms of long term maintenance. Performance penalty for VM is negligible. Proxmox allows memory ballooning by specifying min and max values for ram usage. Ballooning allows return of unused memory to the host.

When it comes to zigbee zigstar device can be a reasonable choice ZigStar - ZigBee Coordinators and Routers.

Running a cluster of three Proxmox nodes as a cluster would provide VM HA and running at least two zig star devices would provide zigbee redundancy. More zigstar devices would provide a better covert for bigger estates.

In the end there is a redundancy for bot VM and zigbee layers. 1gbit network is not stellar for high computing but good enough for HA home assistant and all services around.

1 Like