Public service announcment: Proxmox 7.2 + N5xxx CPUs => Home Assistant hang/lockups

Just wanted to share here since I know lots of folks use NUC or similar small form factor machines running N5xxx series Intel CPUs and proxmox. Since around the June timeframe with Proxmox 7.2 switching to 5.15 kernel, there have been instability issues for VMs. These appear to be getting addressed with future 5.19 kernel update, but might also require you to apply latest microcode updates as well to your proxmox host.

In my case running on an N5095, I had been dealing with this for sometime, unable to pinpoint cause of the HASSOS hangs, which have gotten worse and worse, to never run more than a 24 hour period. I was able to migrate the VM to a xeon proxmox host, had no issues, and I came across this proxmox post with lots of non-HassOS VMโ€™s have similar problems - VM freezes irregularly | Proxmox Support Forum

Until that โ€œfixโ€ comes from Proxmox, the edge kernel seems to be a solution for some.

Thanks for the info, of course, my HA vm today, after having a solid uptime of four days had a new panic/crash hang today. The link to edge kernel setup on PVE way easier than what I was seeing, thanks for sharing!

1 Like