Publishing images out of AppDaemon

Hello Everyone!

Looking for some help from the AppDaemon community!

So I have written an AppDaemon app that downloads an image file and does some manipulation on it. Now, I am trying to figure out the best way to get that image file from AppDaemon into HASS. Some ways I can think of, but I was wondering if there is a better way within AppDaemon:

• Upload via SAMBA (or FTP), and then reference inside home assistant as a local file camera.
  • Save to disk and have that as a shared docker folder between AppDaemon and Home Assistant.

Thanks for your help!

i probably would save the file and pick it up in HA.
but i think it would also be possible to use mqtt.
but i am not familiar enough with mqtt to help you there.
but luckily we have an expert about that around. @Odianosen25 can you help with that option?

That’s exactly what I’m looking for!!! MQTT to send an image file. Brilliant!

and since appdaemon 3.0.2 we have a default mqtt plugin, so you can use mqtt inside appdaemon without any hassle.

1 Like

I have not tried sending an image over mqtt, and it’s one of those things on my list to try. Though I got code for it

I am of the view @BrendanMoran your best option is to download the file, and move it to a shared file which can be used to serve the file to Hass. Then using the local file camera to view it (I do something like that, only that I am not using docker and so can’t tell how it will work).

Share the “www” folder between AD and Hass. Move the file from AD into the www folder and share it from there.

Regards

Thanks for the suggestion @Odianosen25

I love a challenge so I am going to attempt to send the image over MQTT. I intend to share this project when complete because I think others will find it useful, so sending the image over MQTT would seem like the solution that would fit into most peoples environments.

I will make sure I let you know how it goes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

your appdaemon.yaml and the whole config area should be outside your docker.

all good mate, figured it out. thanks for the quick response!

1 Like