Pure HA+Thread, "Border Router required"

Make sure all your devices in the process have IPv6 enabled.
Make sure HA, Matter server and border router only have one NIC.

I assume you are using the OTBR Add-On, and if you are, you may need to restart it or verify that it is running, as it appears the Thread Integration does not see it and thus not auto-discovering it as a TBR.

(Using the HA iOS Companion App) in addition, there should also be a pseudo-button on the same screen underneath the list of TBRs, that says “SEND CREDENTIALS TO PHONE”. If you don’t see this, then I’m not entirely sure, but in your list of TBR(s) on that same page, there should be one with small icon that looks like a rectangle with a key inside, as it is this TBR’s Credentials that are to be sent to your phone. If you don’t have that icon, then that may be the reason the pseudo-button is not showing up.

Ok, I’m also trying to add a Thread/Matter Device with Home Assistant as border router.

I have a Home Assistant Connect ZBT-1 and an aqara P2 Threa/Matter Motion Sensor.

I followed this guide to make HA my first Thread border router.

I added the Thread Integration & then I enabled thread on the ZBT-1 dongle. I now can see a Thread and an Open Thread Border Router integration in HA.

And then I followed this guid for the matter part

And I now see a Matter (beta) integration in HA

Next step is to add the device with the companion app on my iphone 13 pro
I can scan the QRcode and I can see that the companion app is connecting to the device and it goes into setup phase. But then I get a message that a Thread Border Router is Required.

Home Assistant has an IPv6 address
And so does my phone

Any ideas where I can start looking to troubleshoot this issue?

1 Like

Thank you wmwalker. Will give it a try.

Hi there, found this via Google. Thanks for this. I pressed the button in the Thread Configure page to send to phone, but when I go to the Companion App → Debugging → Thread, I just see a blank page. There is no “Sync Thread Credentials” button visible.

That page is only for displaying the Thread credentials that have been stored on your iOS device. There is no button on that page.

This worked for me! I tried numerous times to add an Eve motion detector to my Home Assistant Yellow set up as a thread border router. On Android, I synced the thread login credentials exactly as described by Wally and was able to get it added on my first try.