Pushbullet not working?

My pushbullet is suddenly not working.
Previous i got notifications on my phone for instance when there was a new version available.

In notify.yaml

- name: push
    platform: pushbullet
    api_key: xxx api key xxx

In automations.yaml

- alias: Update notifications
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: updater.updater
  action:
    service: notify.push
    data_template: 
      title: 'New Home Assistant Release'
      message: "Home Assistant  {{ states.updater.updater.state }}  is now available."

Is it definitely pushbullet that isn’t working, or is it just the updater being rubbish?

Have you tried manually sending a message?

Is the automation switched on?

Well i havent touched anything regarding notify or the automations with Pushbullet as service.
I have several automations for presence detection, pollen alert and other stuff and none of them working.

How to send manually?

How to see if automation is switched on?

Probably the easiest way to test if Pushbullet is working is to do something like this in the /dev-service tab:

Hmm that worked fine… How come the automations isnt working any more

What about using "“Home Assistant {{ states.updater.updater.state }} is now available.” as the message?

The thing is that i havent got any notification from any automation at all since summer

Look in your states page for the automation and see if its on. Adding initial_state: on to an automation ensures that it is on at every restart.

Ah thank you, i didnt thought of that.
Well there is no automations that are off.

Strange that - doesn’t seem to be an API key issue, otherwise you wouldn’t get the manually triggered message. :frowning_face:

I think we can safely say that the only problem left here is the trigger, namely the updater component, which is notoriously unreliable.

I can only suggest using a different method.

Personally I track the beta releases and use this sensor…

sensor:
  - platform: scrape
    name: HA upstream
    resource: https://pypi.org/project/homeassistant/#history
    select: 'a[href^="/project/homeassistant/0"]'

And I then use that sensor changing state to trigger a notification…

automation:
  - alias: Device - Update Available Notifications
    initial_state: on
    trigger:
      platform: state
      entity_id: sensor.ha_upstream
    action:
      - delay: '00:30:00'
      - service: script.notify
        data:
          no_say: 1
          tell: mf
          call_upgrade: 1

The delay is just there because I include a link to the blog in the notification so I can check for breaking changes so that delay makes sure I don’t arrive at the blog before the updated version is published.

1 Like

ill try that :+1: