Pushover Notifications question

Hello everyone, I am working on setting up my door and motion sensors within HA. I have the automations configured, and now I am working on the notifications portion; what I would like to do is have HA send me an SMS every time one of the alarms are triggered. I want to fine tune this later on, depending on the time/status, such that lights will turn on, camera(s) will record, and possibly a siren will go off, but that is for a later post :stuck_out_tongue:

My question is, based on everyone’s experience, what are the best choices for notifications? I have narrowed my choices down to Telegram, Simplepush, Instapush and possibly Notify My Android, and I wanted to see if I could get any feedback on them before I commit. I am leaning towards Telegram or Simplepush; any reason for choosing any one of these in particular?

Thanks in advance!

I like using Join for internet based notifications and using Amazon SNS for texts.

I use Join daily in my life to begin with, so it makes sense to use that for push across all my devices. Phone, laptop, tablet, etc.

I like Amazon SNS because for a 100 texts a month, it’s free.

I like pushbullet, tho’ there is a limit (maybe 1000) a month.

To add to not helping you about your choices I use pushover. For a small one time fee per platform ($4.99) type you get 7500 message per month. It supports desktop/ios/android.

1 Like

Thanks, guys! I will add those to the list :slight_smile:

Believe it or not, I still haven’t decided :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve narrowed it down to Telegram, Simplepush and Pushover, and I’m leaning towards the latter two. I am going to a 7 day trial of Simplepush to test it, and I wanted to ask you about Pushover.

How fast and reliable is the service? I noticed that it doesn’t use SMS/Texting to send the notifications, that it sends via the internet. Has this been an issue for you? I am a bit concerned, because I don’t always have good strength on my phone, so I am afraid there will be a delay in receiving the notification. Have you encountered any issues? Thanks in advance!

Honestly it has probably been the most stable add-on I have. I actually prefer using data as I only have a small message plan since most people who text me have an iPhone and it goes over data instead of sms anyhow. I live in Chicago so coverage is not an issue, and honestly I’m usually in a wifi area anyhow (work/home). I haven’t noticed any messages being lost/missed. All in all it’s been solid for me, and I’ve held on to it over native iOS notifiations for the multiplatform support.

Awesome, I appreciate your honesty, and continued replies. I’m going to give it a both Simplepush and Pushover a shot, as they both have 7 day trials. The more I read about Pushover, though, it looks like I’ll be going with them. Again, I appreciate your help and suggestion!

1 Like

Sorry to keep bugging you, but I’ve got Pushover up and running, but I am not getting any notifications. I’ve been trying to figure out what I’ve done wrong, but I cannot see the error. Would you be able to help me with that?

I’ve added the following to my configuration.yaml file:

notify:
  - name: fr_door
    platform: pushover
    api_key:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    user_key:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And the following to my automations.yaml (via the Automations page):

- action:
  - data:
    service: persistent_notification.create
  - alias: pushover test
    data:
    service: notify.fr_door
  alias: Front Door
  id: '1502846230926'
  trigger:
  - above: '1'
    entity_id: sensor.Front_Door_OpenClose
    platform: numeric_state
- action:
  - data:
    service: persistent_notification.create
  alias: Motion Sensor
  id: '1502846376976'
  trigger:
    entity_id: sensor.motion_sensor_alarm_level

Do you see an error? I am beginning to suspect that my phone may be the issue. I have an Huawei Ascend XT. I went through the troubleshooting page on Pushover’s site and ensured that Pushover would stay awake and running no mater what. But, that didn’t help. Any suggestions?

Sure no problem.
Let’s ignore the automation and home assistant for a second.

Try logging into pushover.net and send yourself a notification via their website.

If that works open up HA and try the following:

Go to “Developer Tools” -> Services (first one - remote)
Select
Domain: notify
Service: fr_door
Service Data: {“message”:“test message”}

If that all works then it’s just an issue with the automation.

Haven’t really used the automation gui, but it looks like some things are a bit out of whack here. Maybe take another look at the docs.

This example should get you closer. If it doesn’t work check the logs for errors. Indenting is very important in the yaml config files.

-  alias: Front Door
   trigger:
       above: 1
   action:
      - service: notify.fr_door
        data:
1 Like

Thanks a lot, I will try it asap tomorrow. I haven’t set up a VPN connection to it yet, so it’ll have to wait until after work tomorrow. I tried my brain a bit too much tonight to try it now :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, I’ve been working on it tonight, and I followed your instruction. The pushover.net and calling the service from the Dev Tools tests both worked. So, I edited my automations.yaml a few times based on your script, as well as what I read in the docs; from the States page, if I manually trigger the Automation by clicking on “Trigger”, it works perfectly. But, if I physically move the sensor, I get nothing. Here is what my code looks like:

- action:
  - data:
    trigger:
     - platform: numeric_state
       above: 1

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Never mind, I was able to finally get it through some more trial and error. My code now looks like this:

- action:
  - alias: Front Door Open
    data:
  id: '1503544302817'
  trigger:
    entity_id: sensor.front_door_openclose

That seems to have done the trick. Now, I will have to copy these over to my other sensors and see if I can get them going. Thanks again for your help!

1 Like