Put Automations & Scripts in Folders/Groups

+1
Came her for groups/folders but tags and labels is better (both is even better).
Frankly, I don’t understand why it is not in HA already :blush:. If you work with HA everyday it must be a pain to do so.

2 Likes

+1 for having the possibility to create groups of automations

1 Like

Well, including mechanism in HASS is really pain in the *SS. I would really like to have something more flexible and logical, let say, something like preprocessor in C.
However, we must o live with this we have. For me, the most critical part is automations.yaml which can become “spaghetti code” very fast. Therefore, I found a workaround.
I created directory automations in config directory. I moved automations.yaml to it and include it in configuration with: !include_dir_merge_list automations.
Of course, then I faced with a problem that UI can’t edit anything. I solved this by creating symlink automations.yaml which points to real file automations/automations.yaml.
Now I can have many yaml files in automation directory and automations.yaml editable from UI, which I use for experiments and “developing” and when I’m satisfied with result I can move automation to own file.

+1 I was suprised this is not possible. Or add tags and filter by them would also be helpful, so one automation could have several tags

1 Like

Adding my 2c user story: during maintenance of my alarm system, I want to disable all alarm-related automations at once without having to hunt them down or click each one individually.

So +1 for tags, and please add the ability to enable / disable all automations with a given tag right from the UI.

1 Like

+1 labels or tags, and also comments

I want. Please make

+1 Agree with all the previous comments - it really needs tags as it gets messy quickly once you have a few automations!

+1 for tags. I’m holding off transitioning from HomeSeer partially because I’m so reliant on an organization system to keep track of everything I’m trying to automate and avoiding duplicates.

Kind of grupping is definitelly must have. Several automations have to be splitted into different automation tasks.
Possibility of assigning automation tasks to its parent would clean the mess IMO.

For example, I have 4 automation to drive my LCD panel in my garage. Assigning tasks to the parent group would arrange tasks in tidy order. For example

LCD panel backlight (parent):
- Motion trigger - start the timer (automation)
- Timer started - turn the backlight on(automation)
- Timer stopped - turn the backlight off (automation)
- Backlight turned off manually - cancel timer execution (automation)

I think that even labbeling/tagging does solve the issue with automation mess.

1 Like

Grouping is would be nice but at least let us color code them

2 Likes

I would love the option to use tags and / or folders. Ideally both should be available, with a choice whether to use the functionality or not.

Tags could be useful as they could be accessed from automations, but having a folder (or some form of folding list) would be good to keep things tidy and easy to find.

Examples where grouping into a folder would help include events like automations for Christmas, birthdays, holiday absence, etc. where a whole set of related automations logically hang together, but are often not used for periods of time.

Ideally the folder would have an on/off button to turn all the contained automations on or off and an indicator to show if the underlying automations are active / inactive / partly active.

2 Likes

+1 for comments

2 Likes

+1
And if not possible/too complicated, folders would be the best next thing.

1 Like

+1 for folders for automations and scripts

+1 for tags as it gives us a multidimensional way of filtering, which cannot be accomplished with a folder structure. Downside is that you still have a long list as landing page, but I can live with that.

+1 for folders. I come from a Crestron control system background. Its so nice being able to organize my functions/automations/scenes and scripts in folders that keep the associated behaviors together, clean and easily accessible.

This is an awesome idea.

Searching for this feature brought me here. 18 months ago when I started configuring HASP panels it was driving me crazy looking for automations associated with each one. I think both labels & tags would be the best approach. A step further would be colour coding for levels of importance, such as automations that are security or flood related would be high importance, etc. Perhaps an option within the UI to save the automation in its own folder/file or the general automation.yaml would be beneficial, but probably not critical.

1 Like

+1 for ANY organizational system. I just started and already have a couple dozen automations to sort through when I am trying to troubleshoot something, and its just going to get worse. It’s going to be painful in a few months when I forget what each does

1 Like