PWM Controlled Linear Actuator

Hi all,
I’m building a tv cabinet that will raise and lower the tv using a linear actuator.
I want to be able to control this via HA frontend and also using Alexa.

I’m very grateful for the help @ssieb has provided over on Discord. We’ve got the code to validate in ESPHome. However nothing actually happens when pushing the button on HA Frontend.

To give as much detail as possible, here are the specific parts I’m using.

ESP32

15A Single DC Motor Driver

Generic eBay power supply – 12v; 6A; 72W

Linear Actuator

The jumper wires are connected between the ESP32 and the motor driver per the following.

GPIO13 > 5
GPIO16 > 6
GPIO3 > 4
GND > 7

The below are readings using a multimeter while attempting to operate the linear actuator.

While Opening:
4 & 7 = 10.7mV
5 & 7 = 2.64V
8 & 9 = -0.2mV

While Closing:
4 & 7 = 10.8mV
6 & 7 = 2.65V
8 & 9 = -0.3mV

Here is a link to my code

From what I’ve managed to find online, the direction of movement of the actuator needs to utilise both IN1 & IN2 in the code. See screenshot

Is ESPHome doing this somehow in the background? Possibly a stupid question, I’m a total noob here.

Has my inexperience caused me to use a complicated way to achieve a result?
All I want is a timed up and down switch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas!!

1 Like

Hi Summersky2017

Hmmmm - just checking

I would say if you have a ESP32 you will need 2 relays. One for open and one for close

You will then need to switch the relays via your esp32 - search YouTube for this

through the relays you will need your power supply of 12V to run to your actuator. One relay wired to open wire and one relay to close wire. Both wired to the NO (normally open) contact of the relay.

update your code

Q: Can you adjust the limit switch on the actuator? if you can then it will stop where you set it and time is not required only for the relay to stay on for a given time just longer than it takes for the TV to go up and down… or you have to make the cabinet suit the actuator as I see yours has a limit switch but not sure if it is adjustable.

you could wait for this one… is not out yet but I think it would work with your 12VDC actuator and power supply Shelly Pro 2PM. Looks like it will also need update firmware for roller shutter that is coming.

I would of done this as its easy

use a Shelly 2.5

get a actuator (with a adjustable limit switch unless you an make the cabinet perfectly to suit the stroke of the actuator) & power supply that is 24V DC

Wire as per Shelly instructions.

Connect Shelly to your network.

HA will see it and automaticity ask you to configure it.

In Shelly app you can set all your settings.

works with Alexa

done :grinning:

Anyway hope this helps

Thanks @Blacky. I was wanting to utilise H-Bridge but will look into going the relay route.
If possible I’d prefer to keep it all ‘in-house’ rather than using yet another app. It gets too hard to manage when there’s numerous apps involved.

No the limit switch is not adjustable on this particular actuator.

I don’t like using the app and I don’t like cloud base things this is why I chosen Shelly. You don’t have to use the app you can use your browser and the ip address and never download the app or connect to a cloud. The new “Device Link” in HA makes it even easer to go directly to the browser of your devices so it really easy to manage in one place.

The shelly will have all your setting you will need and more out of the box.

How are you powering the esp32? What you linked has an input voltage: 3.3V~5.5V. 12v is over spec. What you can try is using the pwm fan component. You’ll be able to turn on the relay and have a slider for the pwm output. Just to test if you can get it to move.

fan:
  - platform: speed
    output: gpio3
    name: "open cover"
    on_turn_on:
    - switch.turn_on: open_cover
    on_turn_off:
    - switch.turn_off: open_cover

The ESP32 is powered by a USB charger.
Ok I’ll give the fan code a try.
Thanks.

To the usb port with a usb cable?. You need to power it from a power supply to the vin, ~ 24awg wire.

This sounds like what ESPhome calls an ‘endstop cover’ which is something like a windowshade (or even a garage door) that is normally found ‘open’, ‘closed’, or in transit. Some covers stop in-between, but you probably want only the fully ‘open’ and fully ‘closed’ states.
Usually, those endpoints are detected by limit switches, not by runtime of the motor (e.g. what if the motor runs slower when lifting than it does when lowering the load?).
Consider using an adaptation of that existing component, and limit switches to tell it when it has reached one end or the other. (add a timeout to turn the motor off if it ever runs far longer than it should take to reach either end, such as if there’s a jam-up that stops motion)
Fewer gears will be stripped and fewer motors burnt out.

1 Like

Yes. Really? Excuse my ignorance but can I ask why?
I’m using an ESP32 to operate a garage door and have it powered the same way without any problems thus far…

Yes I do only want fully open or closed.
It sounds like the endstop would only be reached if it can fully extend. I’m not certain that this will be the case which was why I was wanting to rely on runtime. However you bring a very good point that raising would likely take more time than lowering.

When you suggest using limit switches are you referring to adding some sort of a switch / magnetic reed sensor?

Not being familiar with the device you’re planning to control, I’m just describing principles, mostly.
Yes, I would want there to be some kind of sensor (e.g. limit switch, IR beam, etc) to tell the control system when the extent of travel had been reached. i.e. close the loop: When the controller runs the motor to extend, it has something tangible to tell it if/when that goal has been reached of if something failed.
Open-loop systems (that cause actions without getting success/fail signals back) can be more prone to fail or undesired results.

If limit switches aren’t feasible, you may want to consider this as an alternative:

1 Like

As this is usb C rather than micro b, usb c cables are a little better. Patch cables though, can get away with supplying as little 100/150ma. It’s hard to tell what your getting in terms of wire quality.

When troubleshooting it’s best to eliminate that factor. Your mm readings look low, I’d expect over 2.6v. That’s about 75% of an esp’s pwm output.

1 Like

I have to ask, because for someone that is a complete novice, this screenshot doesn’t make sense.

I’ve taken this from Endstop Cover — ESPHome
Without specifying any pins, how can this endstop cover work?
Am I missing something here? Is there other sections of code required to work in conjunction with this endstop cover?
Thanks and apologies if this is a stupid question.

Additionally you will have to define the following:

1. open_cover_switch (IN1 on your H-Bridge)
  2. open_endstop_binary_sensor (a reedswitch or endstopswitch in the open position)
  3. close_cover_switch (IN2 on your H-Bridge)
  4. close_endstop_binary_sensor (a reedswitch or endstopswitch in the closed position)

You will also have to turn on the enable pin on your H-Bridge. This doesn’t have to be a PWM signal, if your planning on running the actuator always on the same speed.

Are you planning to use the entire stroke of your actuator? If so, the cover platform endstop is probably not the best cover platform to use, as the build in endstops in the actuator are usually not accessable. A timed cover would in this case definitely be easier to install.

Merry Christmas mate!

Is this what you mean by defining?

Would you mind explaining how to turn on the enable pin on the H-Bridge?
I’m wondering if this is why I’m not getting the expected outcome with my original post?
I’d love to understand why it didn’t work rather than simply abandoning it and going a completely different route.

Good to know I don’t need to worry about using a PWM signal as speed will not vary.

I had built the cabinet on the basis that I would be using the entire stroke however I’m not absolutely certain that my plans have translated to reality.

yes. I haven’t used the “interlocks” before so i’m not sure about them. Doesn’t mean it’s wrong i’m just not familiar with them

On your h-bridge module the enable pin is labeled as “pwm”. You can supply a PWM signal, or you can just turn it on entirely (which would basicly be the same as a 100% PWM signal, aka full speed). For testing purposes i would just keep it simple and just turn it on and off. You can always add a PWM signal later on if you want to decrease the speed. Just look at the table you posted in your first post. “IN1”, “IN2” and “PWM” defined as switches give you full manuall control over your actuator. The cover element (easier automations) can be added later on when everything is working properly.

that’s good. Because if you use the entire stroke, you can just use the endstops in the actuator; no need to add additional ones. Since the build in endstops probably aren’t accessable to attach to gpio’s, the only downside to this is that there is no feedback whether the actuator actually reached its end position.

However, this is all just the software side of things. Have you tried moving the actuator by just connecting it directly to the power supply? Were you able to move the motor, aka, was the power supply up to the task?

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

With regard to your comments on the h-bridge, what do I need to change in my code?
Am I simply removing this line: frequency: “50Hz” so that 100% PWM signal is being used and also removing the cover: component entirely?

Yes the actuator works perfectly when powered directly.

switch:
- platform: gpio
  pin: GPIO13
  id: IN1
  name: "Motor forward"
  pin: GPIO16
  id: IN2
  name: "Motor reverse"
  pin: GPIO3
  id: PWM
  name: "Enable"

This is all you need for the most basic setup.

Add the three switches in HA:

Screenshot 2022-01-03 210722

Enable: has to be on for the motor to move. If its off, the motor will be idle regardless of the states of the other two switches.
Motor forward: if on, the motor moves in direction 1, untill it reaches its endstroke (or is manually deactivated)
Motor reverse: if on, the motor moves in direction 2, untill it reaches its endstroke (or is manually deactivated)

I would avoid activating motor forward and motor reverse at the same time for now. Theoretically this should brake the motor, but i’m not sure what your actuator/motor-controller do in this case. Later on the cover: component will make sure this doesn’t happen.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the detailed help. Much appreciated mate!

I’ve uploaded your switch config above and followed the instructions, However the motor didn’t move in either direction.

Here is the log.

INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/bedhead.yaml...
INFO Starting log output from 1XX.1XX.X.XXX using esphome API
INFO Successfully connected to 1XX.1XX.X.XXX
[09:03:53][I][app:102]: ESPHome version 2021.12.3 compiled on Jan  4 2022, 08:49:46
[09:03:53][C][wifi:488]: WiFi:
[09:03:53][C][wifi:350]:   Local MAC: E0:E2:E6:6F:F1:BC
[09:03:53][C][wifi:351]:   SSID: [redacted]
[09:03:53][C][wifi:352]:   IP Address: 1XX.1XX.X.XXX
[09:03:53][C][wifi:354]:   BSSID: [redacted]
[09:03:53][C][wifi:355]:   Hostname: 'bedshelf'
[09:03:53][C][wifi:357]:   Signal strength: -84 dB ▂▄▆█
[09:03:53][C][wifi:361]:   Channel: 10
[09:03:53][C][wifi:362]:   Subnet: 255.255.255.0
[09:03:53][C][wifi:363]:   Gateway: 1XX.1XX.1.1
[09:03:53][C][wifi:364]:   DNS1: 0.0.0.0
[09:03:53][C][wifi:365]:   DNS2: 0.0.0.0
[09:03:53][C][logger:233]: Logger:
[09:03:53][C][logger:234]:   Level: DEBUG
[09:03:53][C][logger:235]:   Log Baud Rate: 115200
[09:03:53][C][logger:236]:   Hardware UART: UART0
[09:03:53][C][ledc.output:118]: LEDC Output:
[09:03:53][C][ledc.output:119]:   Pin GPIO3
[09:03:53][C][ledc.output:120]:   LEDC Channel: 0
[09:03:53][C][ledc.output:121]:   Frequency: 50.0 Hz
[09:03:53][C][switch.gpio:048]: GPIO Switch 'Motor forward'
[09:03:53][C][switch.gpio:049]:   Pin: GPIO13
[09:03:53][C][switch.gpio:071]:   Restore Mode: Restore (Defaults to OFF)
[09:03:53][C][switch.gpio:048]: GPIO Switch 'Motor reverse'
[09:03:53][C][switch.gpio:049]:   Pin: GPIO16
[09:03:53][C][switch.gpio:048]: GPIO Switch 'Enable'
[09:03:53][C][switch.gpio:049]:   Pin: GPIO3
[09:03:53][C][ota:082]: Over-The-Air Updates:
[09:03:53][C][ota:083]:   Address: 1XX.1XX.1.XXX:3XX2
[09:03:53][C][ota:086]:   Using Password.
[09:03:53][C][api:134]: API Server:
[09:03:53][C][api:135]:   Address: 192.168.1.129:6053
[09:03:53][C][api:139]:   Using noise encryption: NO
[09:03:53][C][mdns:084]: mDNS:
[09:03:53][C][mdns:085]:   Hostname: bedshelf
[09:03:55][D][switch:013]: 'Enable' Turning ON.
[09:03:55][D][switch:037]: 'Enable': Sending state ON
[09:03:56][D][esp32.preferences:114]: Saving preferences to flash...
[09:03:58][D][switch:013]: 'Motor forward' Turning ON.
[09:03:58][D][switch:037]: 'Motor forward': Sending state ON
[09:04:02][D][switch:017]: 'Motor forward' Turning OFF.
[09:04:02][D][switch:037]: 'Motor forward': Sending state OFF
[09:04:03][D][switch:013]: 'Motor reverse' Turning ON.
[09:04:03][D][switch:037]: 'Motor reverse': Sending state ON
[09:04:06][D][switch:017]: 'Motor reverse' Turning OFF.
[09:04:06][D][switch:037]: 'Motor reverse': Sending state OFF
[09:04:07][D][switch:017]: 'Enable' Turning OFF.
[09:04:07][D][switch:037]: 'Enable': Sending state OFF

You still have your GPIO3 declared as PWM (ledc). Just take that out for now. You only need the three switches (and offcourse your wifi credentials). Basicly a fresh new esphome node, and only add the three switches to it.

Perhaps you could also post a picture of your wiring?
Have you allready tried powering the esp32 directly from the “5VO” pin of your motor controller? That should work and is actually quite a neat solution for your setup. In that case you don’t need the 5V USB charger anymore and you automaticly ensure the common ground between motor controller and esp.