Python Update for Manual install

I know the question has been asked, but the other topic has tons of answers since nobody has installed Home Assistant in the same fashion.
I have a RPI 3B+ that has Raspbian Stretch.
I have other stuff running on it (Unifi, Mail Server Software).
I used this to install Home Assistant which has very nice instructions for installing and updating Home Assistant, but not Python.

I always upgrade pip when it tells me to, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to update python. I have updated the RPI, but cannot get it to update in the virtual container.
How do you update python?

Like this.

You have to install the updated Python first, then build your new virtual environment.

It’s advisable to go the Raspbian Buster install route which includes Python 3.7 in its repository. It’s a lot simpler than the alternative Python upgrade in Raspbian Stretch and makes more sense in the long run.

Looks like I wont be updating anytime soon. I think I need a dedicated HASS RPI. Awesome.

Or run it in docker and never worry about dependencies

Not at all, just follow the guide I linked. I used it to upgrade my Raspbian Jessie install to Python 3.5, then 3.6 (do see this blog post if you’re going to 3.7 though)

Yes, upgrading the OS is the “right” thing to do, but … :man_shrugging: there’s a reason my own install wasn’t upgraded to Jessie, or Buster :wink: