QT OpenZwave (beta) vs zwavejs2mqtt

If you’re using Portainer, create a new “Container” following the zwavejs2mqtt instructions. Here’s my setup for zwavejs2mqtt in Portainer. Note second picture: you need to add your zwave USB hub device

The volume mapping above is optional. I did that so I can have access to the files and tinker a bit. You can omit the Volume setup completely if you want, until you have some need to edit the files.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is what you have run into, but Hass and its device registry love to prevent re-use of a device id. …even when it is the same device through a new service or a replacement for a dead device. It drives me stark raving mad. The only solution I’ve found is to shutdown Hass and then manually delete the devices at issue from the device registry file. I suspect that I could delete the entire file and let it be rebuilt. …this isn’t the only reason for devices to get “new” ids, but it is the reason I most often run into. Hate it! Hate it! Hate it!

1 Like

Appreciate the help with this!

Delete the Mqtt integration, shutdown ha, start ha, add the MQTT integration back. Everything will be auto created as long as the discovery configs are sent on startup. I would assume zwave2jsmqtt would do this.

Edit: don’t do this if you renamed the entity_ids. You’ll have to name them all again.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 21.59.11

Will you be able to assist me? So I am able to pair devices in the ZWavejs2MQTT UI but I do not see them show up in my home assistant. Are you able to notice any issues with my setup?

Sorry, I’ve never used it. I just know how mqtt discovery works.

Edit: I can say that the mqtt setup you have is default and not necessary. You should be able to just use the UI integration without that configuration in yaml. Assuming that zwave2mqtt uses the default configuration.

I think your host url needs to be something like http://localhost or http://192.168.1.XX

Also I think the reconnect period should be longer, like 1000?

I also run HA supervised as a VM on a synology NAS.

I’m just wondering performance wise whether it wouldn’t be better to use the docker which you can install directly on your synology NAS rather than using portainer?
I’m not saying it is (not knowledgeable enough for that), but it just might be that running zwavejs2mqtt in portainer within a VM is less performant than running zwavejs2mqtt in the standard docker app on your NAS.

If you move to zwavejs2mqtt now, you might also want to keep in mind that you may want to migrate in future to what might possibly become the default zwavejs integration for Home Assistant.
I guess that because zwavejs2mqtt uses mqtt in between, it would not be easy to migrate to such a future integration (but could be wrong).

If only i was knowledgable enough with this stuff. My biggest problem is I picking up bits and pieces on how to setup moat of this stuff but most of my progress comes with step by step guides. As a result i ended up running most of my stuff on my synology through a ssd volume which also has ssd cache associated with it. Basically my lack of knowledge led me to throw money into the nas instead…

Like with this i can get the web ui for the container setup but unable to link it to home assistant because i really lack knowledge in mqtt. So probably will end up just going back to the generic openzwave supervised version

Ok, so I’m not on my phone anymore. I looked at your images and I’m pretty sure your issue is the fact that you have mqtt configured via configuration.yaml without the username and password. So, just remove the mqtt: .. etc section from configuration.yaml. Then go to the UI and configure that way. Everything set up in discovery is default so you shouldn’t need anything but the IP, username, and password as your config in the UI.

Ok. Thanks. I will try this later tonight. Once i add the node into zwavejs and have the appropriate setup in the mosquito will the devices just show up with my other devices in HA or do I need to do something further to integrate?

If it works like normal discovery, it should just show up. But you’d want to watch MQTT to make sure everything is being created. As I said before, I don’t know much about the zwave side of the zwave2jsmqtt.

No worries. Thanks. If i have issues i will just roll back to openzwave. Appreciate the help