QT OpenZwave (beta) vs zwavejs2mqtt

Hi, as a real zwaver (still yes) I would ike to start a discussion about the difference about QT OpenZwave (beta) & zwavejs2mqtt.

Currently I use QT OpenZwave (beta) addon with the integration. It work “ok-ish”. then I read all kinds of discussions on this forum about the zwave development (Can we revisit the move to qt-openzwave?) and I came to zwavejs2mqtt (https://github.com/zwave-js/zwavejs2mqtt).

Now I wonder… as I have a USB Aeotec Gen5+ stick… and I would think about migrating to the latter… what would that mean for real?

kill the add-on? install a container via portainer? Keep the existing integration (openzwave (beta))? Will it pickup? Entity names? MQTT? etc…

Just wondering what and how this would go…

I was able to do exactly that! Make sure the OpenZwave addon is stopped (and turn off WatchDog for the addon, if you have it toggled on). Then spin up the zwavejs2mqtt container.

You’ll need to configure MQTT discovery, then configure zwavejs2mqtt via the web panel. Once it’s all configured correctly, it should pick up all of your zwave nodes without needing to exclude/include again.

The unfortunate downside that I found: you will have all new entities in home assistant and they are named things like switch.node_65_switch. I couldn’t find an easy way to change them through the zwavejs admin.

I’m really not looking forward to trying to rename everything again :neutral_face:

Omg renaming entity’s… thats a no go with around 70 devices and 300 entities and node red…

2 Likes

The default naming convention is to use the node_id and id

From the docs:

Named Topics : Automatically configured . The topic where zwave values are published will be:

<mqtt_prefix>/<?node_location>/<node_name>/<class_name>/<?endpoint>/<propertyName>/<propertyKey>

• mqtt_prefix : the prefix set in Mqtt Settings
  • node_location : location of the Zwave Node (optional, if not present will not be added to the topic)
  • node_name : name of the node, if not set will be nodeID_<node_id>

and:

Entity name template : Custom Entity name based on placeholders. Default is %loc-%n_%o

• %n : Node Name
  • %loc : Node Location
  • %pk : valueId property key (fallback to device type)
  • %pn : valueId property name (fallback to device type)
  • %o : HASS object_id
  • %l : valueId label (fallback to object_id)

Tho I couldn’t find a way to change the name template. It says there is supposed to be an entry for it but I couldn’t find one.

So…

You can change the discovery name in HA by going to the “Home Assistant - Devices” table for the device and modify the json there to change the node name.

If you see the other thread about this I put a couple of screenshots there to show where to make the changes.

And to piggy back, if you:

1. remove openzwave integration.
  2. Restart home assistant.
  3. Configure zwavejs2mqtt with the exact same openzwave names.

then you shouldn’t have to rename anything using the UI. Step 2 should remove the openzwave config entries, thus making the entity_id available for use in step 3.

1 Like

Yes, that would be an even better way to do it if you want to fully switch over.

Either way you do things it’s going to be tedious completing the migration.

I’m pretty sure you can use that method to swap back and forth. But openzwave uses a stupid naming convention for entity_ids based on all the information provided by the client. So you’ll always be ‘renaming’ when moving back to openzwave. But if you use the supervisor you can just reload your config from an old snapshot.

I am looking at the same thing, and dreading renaming everything again, as I just went through that once.

Is there a way to script this? If you dumped all your ozw entity names, could you programmatically generate the equivalent zwjs2m names, and then run a sed script to map them back? Or maybe you don’t know what “node id” will be used for a given entity until zwjs2m picks one?

all zwave entities from ozw have node_id as an attribute. So, using the template editor…

entities:
{%- for s in states | selectattr('attributes.node_id', 'in', range(255)) %}
  - {{ s.entity_id }}
{%- endfor %}

output will be:

entities:
  - binary_sensor.flood_light_relay_heat_overheat
  - binary_sensor.garage_door_sensor_access_control_door_window_open
  - binary_sensor.garage_door_sensor_home_security_tampering_cover_removed
  - binary_sensor.garage_door_switch_sensor
  - binary_sensor.garage_door_tilt
  - binary_sensor.garage_entrance_door_sensor_sensor
  - binary_sensor.garage_entry_door
  - binary_sensor.main_door
  - binary_sensor.main_entrance_door_se
... etc...

EDIT for even more information…

nodes:
{%- for node_id, statelist in states | selectattr('attributes.node_id', 'in', range(255)) | groupby('attributes.node_id') %}
  {{ node_id }}:
  {%- for s in statelist %}
    - {{ s.entity_id }}
  {%- endfor %}
{%- endfor %}

output is:

nodes:
  3:
    - switch.game_room_switch
  4:
    - switch.game_room_wall_outlet
  ... etc...
  32:
    - binary_sensor.office_motion_sensor_home_security_motion_detected
    - binary_sensor.office_motion_sensor_home_security_tampering_cover_removed
    - binary_sensor.office_motion_sensor_sensor
    - sensor.ms_humidity
    - sensor.ms_temperature
    - sensor.office_motion_sensor_battery_level
    - sensor.office_motion_sensor_illuminance
    - sensor.office_motion_sensor_ultraviolet
  ... etc...
1 Like

And just to clarify (since that statement seems imply a possible misunderstanding)…

The node_id’s aren’t assigned by HA/ozw/zwavejs. They are assigned by the controller when the device is paired. HA/ozw/zwavejs just reads that info from the controller and updates the database accordingly.

So all of those systems will always have the same node_id’s for each device

2 Likes

Very cool, thank you.

To people familiar with the naming conventions, does this look like an accurate entity id translation from ozw to zwjs? On the left are the custom names I’ve set up in ozw, on the right are the anticipated generated names coming out of zwjs.

I guess this can’t be complete yet because it generates redundant names for zwjs. But maybe it’s getting close.

(node 2): switch.front_porch_lights => switch.node_2_switch 
(node 4): switch.kitchen_lights => switch.node_4_switch 
(node 9): switch.master_lights => switch.node_9_switch 
(node 12): climate.general_thermostat_v2_mode => climate.node_12_climate 
(node 12): climate.general_thermostat_v2_mode_2 => climate.node_12_climate 
(node 12): sensor.general_thermostat_v2_air_temperature_2 => sensor.node_12_sensor 
(node 12): sensor.general_thermostat_v2_air_temperature_3 => sensor.node_12_sensor 

Generated by:

{%- for node_id, statelist in states | selectattr('attributes.node_id', 'in', range(255)) | groupby('attributes.node_id') %}
  {%- for s in statelist %} {%set type = s.entity_id.split('.')%}
(node {{node_id}}): {{ s.entity_id }} => {{type[0]}}.node_{{node_id}}_{{type[0]}}
  {%- endfor %}
{%- endfor %}

What I’m after here is to generate a search/replace script that would run the reverse mapping to replace the entity names created by zwjs to the names you currently have in ozw. I’m assuming these are set in some text config file and could be swapped out by editing that file.

1 Like

Ok, so I started bringing in a couple entities through zwjs to look at the entity naming scheme, and while this approach might work for simple things like switches, it seems to face a very uphill battle for more complex devices. For example, for a smart switch I have, I get a default zwjs entity name of:

sensor.nodeID_3_electric1_a_meter_66817_value

for the amperage sensor.

It’s not clear where “66817” came from (at a minimum), so I don’t know how I could anticipate this default name for programmatic renaming purposes.

I believe the UI to do this is enabled in the dev branch. It is a recent addition.

I guess this dev branch is not the same as the “:latest” docker image, since I don’t see it yet.

It is not. To get the dev branch pull it with the :dev tag instead of :latest.

1 Like

Got it. Any thoughts on how would I get it to “rediscover” with new entity names if I changed the template and saved the new settings?
… (answering my own question)
I deleted the device, then restarted HA, and it seemed to rediscover the device/entities. However, it didn’t seem to change how the entities were named. Hmm.

Would someone mind running me through how to install via docker and then how to get into the ui of this after

How is the device compatibility? I was thinking of testing this by spinning up a container.

That depends on how you installed HA (HASSOS, Supervised, Container, Core)?

once you get it installed you just go to the IP of the macine where it is installed and whichever port you assigned it in the docker install. Default port is 8091.

I have it Supervised version installed as a VM on a synology nas. I was able to get the repo installed for portainer into HA. Ive never installed a docker container in the supervised version through portainer. How is this part accomplished?