Query Home Assistant from Google Home Devices

Hi, pretty new to Home Assistant but haven’t been able to find a definitive answer for this.

I have the Waste Collection Schedule integration installed via HACS and also multiple Google Home devices (hubs, minis etc.). Is there any way to simply ask one of my devices a question such as “When is the next green bin?” and to get a response on that same device that provides the information given by the integration’s sensor for the next green bin collection (eg. “Garden Waste in X days” from sensor.next_garden_collection I have setup).

Have used this is an example but would hope to extrapolate any solutions for this to any further Home Assistant information I may want to query via Google Home in the future.

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT: Forgot to say I already have Nabu Casa allready setup if this helps

This is the hard part.
You can, but not in a nice way.

You would have to say “tell me in the kitchen…” And this would then be a routine in Google Home that triggers something like a boolean to go on and from there a TTS.

1 Like

Cheers for the quick reply. Yh okay, seems like it will probably be more trouble than its worth having to create the TTS reply for each individual home device, not to mention the poor user experience of having to state the room in order to activate the reply in the right place.
Thanks for at least saving me from my struggles of seeing if it was possible or not :smiley:

Sure… No problem.
It’s a shame Google doesn’t give us the information about what speaker you was talking to.
As far as I know there is no way to get around it in a nice fluid way.

I just now as I wrote this thought of one way.
If you have room presens detection then that could be the way to do it.

If you have tracking with room assistant or similar then you kind of know what room the person is in, but I’m not sure how to manage if there is multiple people using the devices.
I know the voice match “should” work, but I don’t know if this is forwarded to HA though.

1 Like

Stumbled upon this and the following thread when searching something different, but this could be a solution to your problem:

Basically you define a Google Home Routine for each sensor starting a ambient sound at the end, which will be used to identify the speaker you have asked the question.

1 Like

Is there a way to query the status of all your google home devices (no matter who built the integration)? (even through TTS) Thanks everyone