Question About Motion/Presence Sensors in Automations

I have a bunch of mmwave presence sensors and have used them successfully in several automations. However there is something which i am unclear about and would like to clarify.

In the UI for automations, one method of selecting the trigger for the sensor is by selecting device, then several options pop up under the trigger section eg.

Device: presence_sensor
Trigger: 1) presence_sensor started detecting motion
2) presence_sensor stopped detecting motion

The other way that i know is by using the state of the presence entity of the presence_sensor eg.

Entity: presence
Trigger: From - clear To detected (or vice versa)

So my first question is, is there a fundamental difference when using this two different methods? Second question is the option to select from/to is available under the Trigger section but is unavailable under the Actions section, where there is only the option of selecting the current state of the entity ie clear/detected. Why is that and does it matter?

Why i ask this is because based on my logical understanding, there should be a difference between WHEN it detects motion and IF it detects motion. WHEN it detects motion, the state changes, so im assuming that the automation triggers when this change of state occurs. But IF it detects motion, then during that whole time where motion is detected, it is a condition to run the automation. Trying to understand the difference(if there is any) would help me understand the implementation of my automations better.

Am i understanding this right or is my fundamental understanding of how it works in homeassistant is wrong? Would appreciate if anyone could clarify this for me. Thank you!

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply! This has definitely shed some light on this for me. My apologies for not doing a better job with the search functionality.