Question about zwcfg_*.xml and Multiple Aeotec Wallmote Quad ZW130 devices

I have searched and for and found many helpful posts on the wallmote device, thanks to everyone who as posted answers on this. Following the posts, i have successfully added a wallmote and automations and it works fine.

Several of the posts reference the following doc, https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/z-wave/device-specific/#aeotec-wallmote and says I need to enter the text into the zwcfg_*.xml,

<CommandClass id="91" name="COMMAND_CLASS_CENTRAL_SCENE" version="1" request_flags="4" innif="true" scenecount="0">
    <Instance index="1" />
    <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="0" label="Scene Count" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
    <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="1" label="Button One" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
    <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="2" label="Button Two" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
    <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="3" label="Button Three" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
    <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="4" label="Button Four" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
</CommandClass>

which i did successfully. While it is clear that this text must be entered for HA to correctly interpret the wallmote event, I can not find anything that explains what this code does.

When I press a wallmote button without the xml code I get something like this

2020-12-17 09:07:48.016 Info, Node010, Received Central Scene set from node 10: scene id=1 in 7680 seconds. Sending event notification.
2020-12-17 09:07:48.016 Warning, Node010, No ValueID created for Scene 1

When I press a wallmote button after entering the xml code into the zwcfg file I get the basically the same thing but with a value change depending the type of press. So far so good, I can add an automation trigger like this:

platform: event
event_type: zwave.scene_activated
event_data:
 entity_id: zwave.aeon_labs_zw130_wallmote_quad_1
 scene_data: 0
 scene_id: 1

And it works to do what i want it to do

The problem arises when i include a second wallmote into the zwave network. The new wallmote goes back to giving no value associated. While the first wallmote continues to function correctly. I suspect that the xml code entered into the zwcfg_*.xml is the culprit. I have tried duplicating the code snippet, with no luck, that is, having duplication the entries, and I have played with changing the second code snippet, to have instance=“2” changing the button labels, and other things all with no success. Since I don’t understand what the code snippet is doing, I don’t know how I need to alter it to allow HA to interpret the second wallmote’s inputs, the way it works for the first.

Ideally, can someone help me understand what the XML code here is doing, so i can figure out how to change it, or if that is too involved, at least explain how to alter it to allow the second wallmote to be interpreted correctly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Your second wallmote will have its own Node entry in the XML. You need to copy and paste the exact same code into the other node entry. That goes for any additional nodes. Do not change anything in the copied code. It must be done while HA is stopped, or the z-wave network is stopped.

The XML code you’re adding creates the “ValueID” that the logs are complaining about. It’s an old version of OZW so it doesn’t have the ability to create the values itself.

And, there it is!

I hadn’t noticed that the entries were node specific. I wondered how it identified/associated with the node. Thank you very much for the reply. Really appreciate it.