Question : Home Assistant Optimization and Reinstallation Considerations

Question: “I’m currently running Home Assistant [latest version] on a Raspberry Pi 5. I’m looking for ways to optimize its performance and ensure a smooth experience. Are there any specific settings, add-ons, or best practices that you would recommend for improving resource usage and overall stability? Additionally, under what circumstances might it be beneficial to reinstall Raspberry Pi Imager and restore my Home Assistant backup? I’m particularly interested in knowing if there are any recent changes or developments that might make this a worthwhile consideration.”
By Today September 13th 2024, I am using Raspberry PI 1.8.5 imager and Latest Home Assistant Core and addons
Please only experts and Seniors give response. Thanks anyway, Cheers!
Pooya (Ryan)

Latest is not a version. But what do I know, I’m only 62.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the Off topic responses , in 2024, 60ish consider as youth and not elders or seniors . I am eager to read other comments too, All the best, Sincerely, Cheers!

Please post your actual versions. Latest is not a version.

Well for a start don’t connect your HA server like this: Potential Issues with Home Assistant on Raspberry Pi Using a Wi-Fi Extender (Ethernet-Connected)

But what would I know?

I’m only a 55 year old spring chicken and I’m certainly not a “has-been drip under pressure” (ex-spurt).

2 Likes

Yes, many…but they’re all different :thinking:

2 Likes

Greetings Pooya from an OLD person,

I’m 64, and just got a senior discount at Golden Corral today, so I think I qualify. I’ve also been using HA since the versions were in the 70 somethings and am a Regular status helper here. I’ve written and shared about 20 Blueprints and 3 custom_template macros in HACS. (Is that a good enough resume? If not please just ignore me, and sorry for trying to help.)

My suggestion is get a real PC and don’t use a PI or an SD card at all.
A small form factor PC or a 10yo PC no longer usable as a windows 11 PC that has UEFI BIOS is far superior to load HAOS on

Use the PI to turn on your fish tank or a back-up storage drive or something it is more suited for.

3 Likes

Sir, Perfect and professional comments and well explained my senior and the manager, Seriously and Sincerely, Still I am interested to see other experts experiences and thought on this subject, All the Best Seniors and elders , Kindest and Warmest Regards, Truly Yours, I am sure you are not looking for new job as there are many available for everyone, so Please keep on great work, Pooya (Ryan)

1 Like

I have to say I concur with the general opinion here. Whilst Home Assistant can run on a PI, it’s really not scalable on that device. In my experience, maintaining home assistant in a RPi (and I still have one) is a career move, I’m just looking for some part time work.

My setup is a RPi 4 with 4gb ram, and it’s been an uphill battle to keep it responsive with about 40 Wifi Devices and about 120 Zigbee, as well as another 160 ‘virtual devices’, mostly power monitoring.

Most things that are key in performance optimization on a PI are the reduction of Disk/Database IO and reduction in network traffic.

The maintenance I have had to do to keep my RPi 4 ticking over has encouraged me to purchase a $150 Canadian mini computer which is far more performant and will be far more scalable.

I am not fully migrated yet as I want to ‘start-over’ rather than ‘port-over’ all the silly choices I made in my first year of learning. :slight_smile:

Absolutely limit the people that ‘should’ reply to your crazy post with little info.

As it sits, you have NOT given any useful information as a couple have asked for.

Look here for how to actually ask a question …
How to help us help you - or How to ask a good question - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

You have done none of that!

1 Like

Hello I am 62 and considered the most senior IT guy in my household.

I run NUC i7 (or something) and also RPi5. SSD + Good stable power supply. Both work. :innocent:

2 Likes

62 is not senior enough. 64 is. Please wait 2 years before posting again.

3 Likes

However there is a small window in which to post, as once you hit 70 (or some would argue, 67) you become “old” instead of “senior”, and you require help from grandchildren for even basic computer operations.

2 Likes