Potential Issues with Home Assistant on Raspberry Pi Using a Wi-Fi Extender (Ethernet-Connected)

Subject: Potential Issues with Home Assistant on Raspberry Pi Using a Wi-Fi Extender (Ethernet-Connected)

Hi everyone,

I’m running Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi 5 connected to a TP-Link Wi-Fi extender (model [model number]) via Ethernet. All of my Home Assistant clients are connected to the main Rogers Ignite router via Wi-Fi.

I’ve been experiencing [briefly describe the issues you’ve faced, e.g., unexpected disconnections, slow responses, or specific error messages].

I’m curious if anyone else has encountered similar problems in a setup like this. Are there any known limitations or best practices for using a Wi-Fi extender with Home Assistant when the Raspberry Pi is connected via Ethernet?

My network configuration is as follows:

• Main router: Rogers Canada Ignite (most recent one in the market)
  • Wi-Fi extender: TP-Link AX5400 WiFi 6 Range Extender with Ethernet Port
  • most recent TP-Link wifi Extenders in Amazon (I have bought it from this amazon link : https://a.co/d/9yy6mRv
  • Wi-Fi bands: both [2.4 GHz or 5 GHz] tried
  • Network names (SSIDs): SSID are different with each other (I mean SSID are different by Extenders and Main router however same password.

Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and welcome!

Thanks,

All the Best

Kindest And Warmest Regards,

Pooya Mohammadhossein

Nickname :Ryan

Hi Pooya,

It is not recommended to run HA over WIFI, even the way you describe there.
I predict UN-predictable results…

Some are lucky, have exceptionally stable WIFI and hi end AP’s and routers. Most of us have consumer grade WIFI equipment that is prone to WIFI-interruptious and would be best stretching an Ethernet wire to the server for better results.

1 Like

For about a year I have my Yellow Box connected, with ethernet cable, to a secondary pod of my Comcast router and it has been working fine.

Sir, You are absolutely right and I am aware but I have to use Rasperry PI with wifi because I am living in a small Appartment and I don’t have space for installing HA on PC or wiring it so I have to use Wifi and Tp-link Wifi extender. Thanks though for sharing your valid response. Sincerely.,
Pooya (Ryan)

So you have no option to plug the pi in to any of those devices you have? The pi doesn’t have to be in any particular place in your apartment.