Question regarding support for HLK-LD2410 (Human Presence Radar)

Hi,

I am (still) building a sensor node/light switch monstrosity, but I recently became aware of a human presence sensor that is, by all accounts, far more accurate than PIR because it can detect humans that are sitting still.

It is not supported directly in the ESPHome documentation. However, the spec sheet says that it has a pin which outputs High on presence detection, and Low if no presence detected. Which says to me that we could configure it as a simple switch, like a reed or whatever.

Here is a link to the sensor’s documentation: https://github.com/ESPresense/ESPresense/files/9189632/HLK-LD2410.user.manual.V1.02.pdf

Before I spend money, has anyone tried this? Any pitfalls or snags you’re aware of?

Thanks

Have a look here:

There is a configuration an custom code for this sensor.

1 Like

You might like to look here LD2410 BLE - Home Assistant - new in 2023.2

1 Like

@Daxi Extraordinary! Thank you.

Hi @nickrout, that is very interesting indeed! From reading the page, it seems like it would need to connect to your HA instance via Bluetooth, am I correct? If so, presumably I would need to purchase a bluetooth dongle.

Hi @DeeBeeKay,
There are two main versions of the sensor, the LD2410 and the LD2410B (Bluetooth).

HomeAssist recently added an integration to connect to an LD2410B sensor if you have Bluetooth connectivity.
The LD2410B also has a Bluetooth mobile app as another means of configurating it.

As for the LD2410, you can get a breakout board to configure the LD2410 using a tool in Windows available to download. After that you can then use the output pin going forward.

The LD2410 is also supported in ESPHome. Take a look here

You can use esp32 as a bluetooth proxy.

There is also LD2410C with bluetooth and easier to connect headers.

1 Like

@nickrout are you sure about this? my understanding assumption is it is using HA instance (pi/nuc) bluetooth. I have couple of them working but not too sure how they are connected.

Assumption is the mother of FUBAR.

Yes I am sure. But if you are still unsure, read it in the release notes.

1 Like

Although WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time doesn’t work very well… the documentation explicit recommends using a ethernet capable esp32

True, ethernet is better for Bluetooth proxy. But that doesn’t change the fact that the ld2410 LD2410 BLE - Home Assistant works with bluetooth proxy.

Sure, it works pretty well. Sorry if I sounded rude, that was me frustrated by the fact my Bluetooth proxy doesn’t reach a room where I need the radar and I have no Ethernet there as well :(.
I will have to use a esp32 with EspHome and the radar connected to it.

That should work too. Horses for courses.