Questions configuring OpenZwave and MQTT

I’m running Hassio on a Raspberry Pi. I currently have my Z Wave devices working on the previous Z-Wave integration. I would like to try OpenZWave but have questions.

1. I need to install MQTT; what is the broker IP? Do I use the Raspberry’s IP? I’m not using Docker or any other server.

2. Do I need to uninstall the previous version of ZWave?

3. When I installed Z-Wave I left the network key input so it generated a key? I there a way I can find out what it is as I suspect it is needed for OpenZWave.?

4. Is the same key used for all devices? I’m assuming yes but just checking.

5. Is there a GUI for adding a configuring new devices in OpenZWave?

Here’s what I’ve determined so far.

1. Are you running MQTT on your pi as well? If so you can probably use localhost (127.0.0.1)

2. I can’t figure out how to uninstall the old one. For now I have both - I just disable the old zwave network after startup

3. I was able to leave the same key in place - the devices are all still communicating on the same network with the same zwave USB stick. It’s just Home Assistant that now thinks there are multiple devices and entities that are all generating the same types of messages.

4. Yes :slightly_smiling_face:

5. No, you would have to use the services developer tool to put the system in pairing mode. I imagine this will be smoothed out with a proper UI in upcoming releases. I believe you could also use the old integration UI to put the network in pairing mode (since it’s actually the same zwave network), though I have not tried this.

Thanks for the reply,

1. Yes I’m running MQTT on my pi as well. I thought that localhost was depreciated which is why I didn’t use it.
  2. To remove an integration, go to the integration page, select the three vertical dots in the lower right and a drop down will appear that has the delete option.
  3. Since I let the integration select the network key, I was hoping that there was a way for me to at least record it in case I needed it in the future.
    4 Thought so, thanks for confirming.
  4. When I installed OpenZwave, I didn’t see even a list of devices or the ability to add a node or remove a dead node. Not really sure what I get when installing it.

My biggest issue at the moment is that my garage door isn’t working properly. I get only two entities, a sensor and the controller. The controller won’t open or close the door. I’ve put a new battery in the tilt sensor and repaired it with the controller but no impact.

It appears that MQTT isn’t really useful without something like Node Red. Just not sure yet how it works with OpenZwave.

As the integrations page says - Its Beta - Not all functionality as been implemented yet. The release notes detailed what is supported so far, and I believe Garage Door is not supported yet

Thank you but that’s disappointing; I wanted to implement it because my garage door isn’t working with the previous Z-Wave integration. I knew it was beta, but I didn’t see any release notes that talks about what has and has not been implemented with this version. I followed the documentation link found in the Developer Tools tab but nothing there. The release notes for Home Assistant didn’t have it either. Can you point me in the right direction?

However, I does list as a requirement ozadaemon but nothing how to install. I followed that link to GitHub to see a discussion on setting up a docker wrapper. But I’m not running docker so I really need it?

And yes - You need docker - there are other posts here with walk throughs to set it up