Questions in switching to Nabu Casa from DuckDNS

Hi, currently I’m using DuckDNS for external access and NGINX for reverse proxy. I have added the trusted proxies setting into my configuration.yaml. I have also integrated the Google Assistant into my HA by the manual setup.

But recently, I’m having issues in accessing my HA externally and I noticed it was due to the certificates issues. It appears the DuckDNS/LetEncrypt did renew the certificate, but the browser didn’t see the new certificate. The only fix is to do a host reboot. It kinda frustrating because each certificate is only valid for two months and every two months, the browser fails to see the new certificate and I need to do a host reboot.

Also, my Google Assistant is having intermittent issue to access my HA and can’t control my switches by voice. All these frustrations make me to think about moving to Nabu Casa.

But before that, I have some questions what need to change in order to move to Nabu Casa,

1. Do I still have to define the trusted proxies under http section in my configuration yaml after moving to Nabu Casa?
  2. For the Google Assistant, should I remove all the configuration under google_assistant section? I will use Nabu Casa for Google Assistant.
  3. Do I need to remove port forward setting in my router? Currently I’m doing port forward 443 for HA ip.
  4. Since I’m using NGINX, I believe I need to change the domain to new Nabu Casa domain under the NGINX configuration section, right?

Thanks in advance.

1. No
  2. Don’t know, sorry
  3. Yes, you can remove it.
  4. You don’t need NGINX anymore, unless you are using it for other things then HA?

Thanks for the reply. I’m using the NGINX just for me to access the HA with local IP when I’m home. So once I used Nabu Casa, I still can do that?

If yes, then it should be good to remove the NGINX.

Yes, you are still be able to access HA with the local IP in your home network when using Nabu Casa.

Just try it, as far as I remember there’s a 30 day free trial for Nabu Casa.

1 Like