Quickset 916

I have this lock working well with the exception of one annoying bug…
When the lock jams, like if the door wasn’t closed all the way, it doesnt report the jam and also drops from the zwave network.
My son had some friends over a few nights ago and someone didnt close the door all the way. As a result, the lock dropped off the network and no notifications were sent. The door was basically open all night.
This is the only lock that meets the WAF due to the rest of the door handles in the home. There is a zigbee version now, but I dont feel like spending the $200…
Pretty sure this is a zwave/firmware bug and there is nothing I can do on my end…
Not sure if anyone else has experienced this…
The lock:
Kwikset SmartCode 916 Z-Wave Smart Lock, Keyless Entry Ring Compatible Door Lock, Touchscreen Electronic Deadbolt, SmartKey Re-Key Security, Smart Hub Required, Contemporary Matte Black - Amazon.com

I have this lock and a few other Kwikset Z-wave locks. Starting late 2023 I two of them started dropping off the network. Before then they were rock solid, so I’m not sure if it is a device firmware issue or something with Z-Wave JS UI… In my case, when manually unlocked or the PIN pad is used they would then reconnect. I haven’t associated it with a jam signal, but you very much could be correct, as I do notice they drop after a lock command… I did however fully exclude/remove one and then re-pair it and it seems to be working fine. Not a solution I know, but something to try.

Similar issue below, but could not find anything else specific in the zwavejs github issues.

1 Like

When I first got this lock, I was on a 700 series zwave stick and it would constantly drop off the network.
The lock was important enough to my wife that I got an 800 series stick and migrated everything over. The lock is much more stable with the only issue being the jamming of the lock kicking it off the network. Once its kicked off, I just pull the battery and reinsert and it connects back.
Removing/re-pairing has had no effect on it. Ive even tried pairing with no security.

I have the same issue with the Kwikset SmartCode 916 lock. If it jams, the lock falls off the Zwave network. It does not report that its jammed, just unavailable in Home Assistant after it falls off the network. Anyone else see this? Any fixes for this? Thanks.

They now have a zigbee version at Home Depot. I picked it up and its way better.

I reset the battery in the Smartcode 916 and Im no longer seeing the drop from zwave on a Jammed condition.

I tried that several times. It always eventually came back.