QuietCool Whole House Fan

Awesome. Glad you got it going. I never tried the timer in the Quietcool controller. I have all of my controls for it in HASS. Post back if you get it working… I’m sure someone would find it useful.

Do you guys have any issues with wifi connectivity with it? Mine constantly decides to not work anymore. It is connected to the network, but I can’t ping it and the regular app can’t even find it anymore. Seriously considering to roll my own SPDT module, because I love the fan!

No issues here with WiFi connectivity. I recall reading about people having wifi issues when I checked the reviews on the module but I haven’t had a problem. My WAP is a Unifi. The WiFi module and the WAP are in the attic and both clear line of sight of each-other so that might be why.

I had network issues, until i went to a static IP. Connection has been rock solid now. Have also moved to the native HA component - works great with the fan speeds.

Native HA component? Where?

Here’s the repository - https://github.com/stabbylambda/homeassistant-quietcool huge thanks to StabbyLambda.

I’m using the fan control entity row with this, and it’s working great (Lovelace Fan Control Entity Row).

1 Like

I have a stupid question, how did you import this into Home Assistant? I’m a very new user, obviously lol.

Thanks for your help!

I was going to switch to the custom_component today but I found a bug. Hopefully it gets resolved and I can update my original post. My Node method is a bit convoluted.

https://github.com/stabbylambda/homeassistant-quietcool/issues/1

I know this was posted awhile back but I’m trying to include my quietcool fan into my Home Assistant setup but do not know how and where to run the “npm install -g quietcool” command from Home Assistant. I do not run HA on docker, just a regular old RPi3b+. Any help would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance!

The dev has simplified this a bit with the new custom component - no custom node/appdaemon needed everything works natively :

Let me know if you have any issues can post my config if you run into any issues.

If you’re starting fresh I would probably just use the custom_component. It has some obvious issues but once you recognize them you can work around them.

You can also probably create a template to make the interface work properly and hide the issues.

I realize this is a really late reply, but I also had really bad wifi connectivity issues. Nowhere in the documentation did I find requirements, however, I learned that the controller I have only talks 2.4GHz and my wifi was an Eero Mesh Wifi system that ran 2.4 and 5 on the same SSIDs. I specifically switched away from Eero because of this issue so that I could broadcast a 2.4GHz SSID dedicated to IoT and my problems went away. I later found that the wifi controller specifically has issues with dual band SSIDs, so this might be something to consider if you’re still having issues.

Looks like the latest Home Assistant upgrade broke this component, i’m now seeing this in the logs:

2022-04-10 17:42:58 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Platform error: fan
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config.py", line 877, in async_process_component_config
    platform = p_integration.get_platform(domain)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 603, in get_platform
    cache[full_name] = self._import_platform(platform_name)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/loader.py", line 620, in _import_platform
    return importlib.import_module(f"{self.pkg_path}.{platform_name}")
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1030, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1007, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 986, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 680, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 850, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 228, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/config/custom_components/quietcool/fan.py", line 3, in <module>
    from homeassistant.components.fan import (FanEntity,
ImportError: cannot import name 'SPEED_OFF' from 'homeassistant.components.fan' (/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/fan/__init__.py)

You’re talking about the WiFi controller correct? I fixed some of the issues with it here but it doesn’t work yet.

Yep - WiFi controller. Looks like HA just deprecated fan.set_speed for fan.set_percentage. Let me know if you have any luck was going to try to dig into it this week.

@sdc I think I fixed it. Well, at least it seems to be working for me.

Amazing - worked flawlessly, great to have this working again - thank you! Question - which UI component do you use to control your fan? I initially was using the Fan Entity Row which sets High/Medium/Low (looks good in the UI) - isn’t working for some reason but haven’t dug in yet (the native fan ui control works fine - maybe entity row isn’t setup for percentages).

I don’t have any fan cards, maybe that’s an addon? I’m just using Entities card.

How do I install the custom integration near the bottom of this thread? When I try to add the repository to HACS, it says it is not compliant.

It doesn’t support installing with HACS. You have to install it manually. Links below have instructions.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/how-to-add-community-build-component-to-home-assistant/159155/2?u=bbrendon

https://codingcyclist.medium.com/how-to-install-any-custom-component-from-github-in-less-than-5-minutes-ad84e6dc56ff