Quirks - which one to use?

I had some real issues with figuring out the correct quirk for one of my devices

_TZE200_b6wax7g0

recently and it appears there are many quirks for this device and many of them don’t work.

So: What is the established process for determining which quirk is the latest and greatest one that everyone should use for a particular device this has been very painful.

I ended up using this one.

Couldn’t make your link work, I’m afraid.

Apologies - link updated / should work now.

I’m afraid it’s a matter of wading through interminable discussions on GitHub - bearing in mind that the same issue often gets raised several times. This thread, for example, seems to have been going on for about two years. :roll_eyes:

Part of the problem is that manufacturers sometimes tweak their devices without changing the model id.

It’s a real pain and we should invest in a system where we can at least rank quirks. I had some of those TRVs but needed some more, bought them but they were a different version of firmware. They didn’t work with my existing setup and I spent most of the weekend trying to figure out which quirks worked (and many people report there aren’t any that actually work).

I used many different quirks, and lost most of my ZHA devices in the process (restarts & dongle lockups) and the quirk I finally ended up with broke my automation as one of the devices on my network (strongly) objected to this new quirk being used.

I appreciate much of this makes no sense at all but some system to rank / review quirks would be a great idea I believe.

Yup. But the manufacture of Zigbee devices is such a wild west I’m not sure it would be practical.

Have you looked at Z2M? I believe you can run it alongside ZHA on a separate co-ordinator and it’s supposed to be much better at dealing with unorthodox devices.

I don’t think quirks were originally intended to fix bugs - more to allow manufacturers to add enhanced features.

There’s an article here about how quirks are written which may help.

Thanks - I’ll have a look at that article and Z2M. I was hoping not to need to use it as it adds a layer of complexity that I can do without but I don’t want to go through what I had to deal with over the weekend again :slight_smile:

Anyway, it’s all working now and thanks for your help and suggestions.