Radio Thermostat CT101 Z-Wave Not Reporting Target Temperature Changes to Home Assistant

I recently set up a Radio Thermostat CT101 Z-Wave thermostat in Home Assistant. Most of the functionality is working great. I have heat and cool climate entities, and temperature sensor entities, and I am able to control the operation_mode, fan_mode, and target_temperature via Home Assistant. However, if I set a target temperature on the thermostat directly using its touchscreen controls, that change is never reflected in Home Assistant. I tried polling the device via z-wave but that doesn’t work.

I also had a similar problem with it not updating the operating_state or fan_state attributes when when the system turned on/off. Polling or manually calling the zwave.refresh_entity service does seem to fix that issue, however.

Any idea how I can get the target_temperature when set from the device itself into Home Assistant?

I’m also using the CT101 but am not really having any issues. For me, in HA the CT101 is represented as 2 climate entities, a cooling and a heating. Just be sure you’re looking at the correct one when you’re updating the target temp. I remember that confused me a bit when I first set it up. Also, there doesn’t seem to be a target_temperature state attribute for the entities. When adjusting the target temp manually on the touchscreen, it appears to be updating the temperature attribute.

If you’re looking for a nice way to display the thermostat on the frontend, this is a nice custom card: https://github.com/enriqg9/dual-thermostat

Hope that’s somewhat helpful. :slight_smile:

Oops, I meant the temperature state attribute doesn’t get updated when adjusting the target temp manually on the touchscreen. Not sure why I said target_temperature.

I just did some more testing and the heat climate entity temperature does get updated in HA when adjusting manually via the touchscreen when the thermostat is in Heat mode, but not the cool climate entity when the thermostat is in Cool mode. I may exclude it from the z-wave network and perform a reset and start over to see what that does.

By the way I am already using the dual thermostat card, it’s really nice! The separate climate entities were a bit confusing at first for me too, and that card makes it work more like my brain expects it to.

I removed and re-added the CT101 and now it’s updating the target temperature in HA as expected. However I don’t have the indicator sensor that I had before (whatever that was for?). So it may be having some trouble pairing fully with HA even though I have a solid mesh network throughout the house. Good enough for now…

Hey Josh, do you remember the steps you took to connect CT101? Have much trouble? I can’t seem to get mine to connect. Tried several times.

Did you select to add a regular node or a secure node?

After the node selection, did you go to “menu” on the CT101 and then press the radio button?

Appreciate the help!

These are the steps I followed:

1. Press Add Secure Node in Z-Wave configuration screen
  2. Press Menu button on CT101; a “Mate” button will appear under the antennae icon on the touchscreen.
  3. Press the “Mate” button once; “R1” will appear on the screen.
  4. Press the “Mate” button again; the thermostat should pair with the Z-stick.

Thank you! I finally got it. Even though I had reset it several times, it was apparently still connected to Smartthings. Really appreciate your help!

Can you share which sensors you have? I just installed a ct101 and am having trouble figuring out what the sensors are. Most are pretty obvious but there are 3 I am unsure of

I have:

climate.thermostat_mode
sensor.thermostat_battery_level
sensor.thermostat_relative_humidity
sensor.thermostat_temperature
sensor.thermostat_temperature_2
sensor.thermostat_indicator
zwave.thermostat_iris

I’m confused about indicator and the difference between temp and temp_2. They both are often the same temp, as seen in the imageCapture

Currently I’m setting the min/max temp manually via the app but would like to automate, just not sure where to start honestly. Can I just set a target temp based on time of day and occupancy, or am I stuck doing min/max?

Thanks
Justin