Random Delay between Covers opening and closing

Hello all,

I’ve been running Home Assistant for quite some time now and have automated a couple of Covers/Shutters (20) to open and close using Sun-Rise/Set timings.

I’ve grouped (group entity!) all of them together and set up a single automation. While this setup works perfectly, it doesn’t quite achieve the desired effect for presence simulation. Having all the covers open/close simultaneously feels unnatural and conspicuous.

Additionally, it gives off the impression of a synchronized clock or alarm when all covers operate simultaneously. I’d prefer to introduce some randomness by adding delays between the actions of different covers, mimicking the behavior of a human moving from window to window.

I’ve explored various ideas but most focus on introducing a delay within the automation or replaying historical data, neither of which suit my idea.

What I’m looking for is introducing a delay before each automation session, which should be an easy addition to the automation. Following this, I’d like to implement a loop over the cover group, adding a delay within each iteration to simulate human behavior.

However, it seems that implementing a loop within the UI/UX of the Automation might not be feasible. Does anyone know if this is possible, or would I need to code the YAML manually? I’m just looking for confirmation and wondering if someone has already developed a blueprint for this.

In the UI select repeat.
Then select ‘for each’