Rasberry Pi 4

Does it support Rasberry PI 4?

Search on the forum, there’s another discussion open. That is telling us that HA is available also for RPi 4.

Beta version

literally announced yesterday.

But all Addons are not working

true, any ETA on addon compatibility?

Do you just flash 3.3 and restore your snapshot backup image? Also what’s better 32 or 64bit image? The processor is 64bit, so shouldn’t that be better?

Addons work now

So I flashed hassio 64bit in the sd card. My rasberry is : Raspberry Pi 4 Model B/4GB

I formated a usb stick in fat and labled “CONFIG” and then created a folder network and inside created a file “my-network” (without extension).

[connection]
id=my-network
uuid=ed49612e-b4b6-4d9a-9df4-5d04ee54ce52
type=802-11-wireless

[802-11-wireless]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=VaS9+
#Uncomment below if your SSID is not broadcasted
#hidden=true

[802-11-wireless-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=tamil

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

I put the sd card and usb stick, I am connecting to mobile hotspot. I am not able to see the pi in the connected devices and do not know how to find the ip address from the terminal of the HassIO.

Any idea?

noticed a few things

1. Aeontec Zwave usb stick doesn’t work any more, /dev/ttyACM0 doesn’t show up. it worked fine on rpi3b+ (EDIT: there is an issue there for it https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3027 )
  2. ethernet is operating at 100mbps

Did you get your Aeontec Zwave usb stick working? I am waiting to jump the gun on this until its resolved. Also do you have the correct amount of ram show up? I hear it only registers 1GB

Not sure on the zwave stick, but ram still shows as 1GB

The stick issue will not be resolved. Its a hardware issue with the stick - the Pi is not at fault. A very easy work around is to plug the stick into a USB 2 hub (doesn’t need to be a big powered beast, a simple wire with 4 ports on the end will do the trick). The issue is with the USB handshake (the stick identifies itself incorrectly) and the hub solves this. Otherwise its a new stick purchase Im afraid.

Yeah so I hear, do you think the update is worth it or should I wait till they fix the ram issue? I have 4gb Pi4 seating in a package on my desk :slight_smile:

If you already have it, go for it. The Pi 4 performs much better with my HA setup, i was at the point of switching out to NUC or something but the Pi4 has saved me from that requirement, even with only 1Gb of ram being used.

Anyone tried to overclock it and give some benchmarks ?

Sorry, why would you want to do that.?
It will just run the pi hotter and you will still get commands issued on the second and inputs read on the second.
Do you use it for other things concurrently ?

When you use a heatsink with fans temp is below 55C.

Overclock is more performance and IT always aim for more no matter what.

To get hardware hotter you must use it which means if you overclock your Pi 4 that does not mean it will be hotter it means you will get more CPU freq and if you use a lot of CPU for 15-30 mins and more then its going to be hotter.

When you install the heatsink with fans its fine from that perspective.

Overclock = more power for less money - I’m old school IT ,so just wondering if anyone here will overclock which I will definitely do.

No, most of the losses in energy is transitions and the capacitive effects of gates.
A clock cycle means the bus steps through a change and memory is refreshed and that means a lot of gates drained and refreshed (whether you are using the cpu or not).
To ensure you get timings in sync (given the lower period) you need to accelerate the draining and recharging of these same gates (most systems have auto voltage regulation based on frequency so you are wasting more ‘power’ too (you must have seen these options when you go to overclock a PC ?
More power = more heat (pretty much the definition of power) AND why overclocked systems have their cooling systems upgraded as a first step.
So unless you are running at around 90% CPU Utilisation you are effectively trying to use a V8 to run your hedge trimmer.