Rasbian Stretch

personally I would stick with the same names as before.

The service file in my setup was still there and still had all the original folder names and structure in the configuration.

If you change the name you might need to check the service file and maybe other areas to re-point to a different name

I upgraded to Stretch, but Iā€™m having some certificate problems with the virtual environment. Iā€™m getting errors similar to this when I run pip3 install:

Starting new HTTPS connection (1): pypi.python.org
  Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/python-openzwave/: connection error: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed (_ssl.c:720) - skipping

EDIT: It turned out to be a clock problem. For some reason, the system clock got set to about a year behind, so the SSL certificates werenā€™t valid.

This solution worked well for me. The old virtual environment might be slightly different, in my case it was in /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv so I was able to tidy that up. Remember to update the autostart in Systemd if thatā€™s what you have.

Also the service got renamed somehow from:

homeassistant.service to home-assistant.service

I donā€™t know how this happened during the Stretch upgrade process.

This was meant to be a comment on gpbentons post - sorry

Just finished my upgrade to stretch. Since I am on HA AIO from prior to Dec2016 here are the steps I took which is basically substituting hass for homeassistant. Of course after making an image copy and backing up everything. I followed the link to upgrade to Stretch then these steps (remember this is only if you have the prior Dec2016 install of AIO)

sudo mv /srv/hass/hass_venv /srv/hass/hass_venv_old
sudo pip3 install --upgrade virtualenv
sudo su -s /bin/bash hass
virtualenv -p python3 /srv/hass/hass_venv
source /srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/activate
pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant
sudo systemctl enable home-assistant.service
sudo reboot

The one thing that I havenā€™t seen mentioned is the time it takes from start to finish. Maybe because I am still on a RPi2 it took quite awhile. The stretch upgrade instructions took just over 5 hours. The reboot of HA took another 20 minutes with the install of openzwave taking the longest.

3 Likes

I went through all of the steps and was having some success until I got to the

sudo systemctl enable home-assistant.service

step. At this point I was asked for the service password. I tried all of the passwords I could think of with no success. Is there a default password for the service that I do not know?

Steven

Actually the same did happen to me so I just rebooted and it started up fine.

You need to use sudo commands as the pi user. This user has passwordless access to sudo commands.