Rasbian Stretch

Has anyone already tried to install HASS on Raspbian Stretch? Will AIO installer work?

@Lapatoc Yep I did and it crashed my system. Yet to get it running again as it gives the error log “Segmentation fault” and just halts :frowning:

So it seems that AIO no more available. The only option is manual installation using virtual environment.

Guess as much. That will be my next point of task, since I am not so keen on HASS.io for now.

Though I am still working via it, to see if I can make it work before giving up on it

Hello @Lapatoc,

I have updated to the latest Stretch and can confirm it all works fine. Though had to remove and re-install samba to get that back fully, but so far so good cool.

The main reason I upgraded was for the new BluezAlsa combo now, so I wouldn’t need PulseAudio to do anything again.

Will test that once I got some time tomorrow.

I upgraded to Stretch yesterday and it seemed to go well. I had to re-create the homeassistant virtual environment, but I expect that was because its using Python 3.5 as opposed to 3.4.

I am also looking to see if Bluetooth will be more reliable with BluezAlsa.

1 Like

I’m also interested in Bluetooth. Currently I’m using pulseaudio and vlc.

I have HASS working on a Pi3 in a python virtual environment with Stretch.

MQTT is causing problems, so I commented out my MQTT-related items from configuration.yaml and now it goes into my dashboard. Climate, systemmonitor and Orvibo’s are working.

Are you using build-in MQTT or Mosquitto?
Currently I’m on 51.2 with mosquito and it works smoothly.

I thought HASS was hanging on paho-mqtt installation, but it just takes a long time. Eventually it finished and it now works.

I could not get stretch version of mosquitto to install, but jessie version does install.

Have just recently installed HA for the first time. I could not get either the HASS.io or the all in one installers to work. But the virtual environment method worked just fine with a fresh install of Raspbian stretch. On a RPi B+

Can you exactly write what you had to do after the update (what commands)? Updating to Stretch sooner or later will be necessary because of the Python version: Phasing out Python 3.4 support.

From what I remember, all I had to do was remove the old virtual environment and create a new one. So

sudo mv /srv/homeassistant /srv/ha_old

then follow the instructions for creating the venv from here (from step 3)

5 Likes

Can confirm that the above mentioned post works fine. Recreating the virtual environment is required. Reboot afterwards for a final check.

I rebuilt my raspi3 with the latest Stretch version from September 2017 (2017-09-07). I then did update and upgrade. Then installed HASS in virtual environment. Everything worked without any problems, including paho mqtt. Thanks to all the developers for making HASS so great!

Hi @gpbenton,

I have tried to follow this to re-create the vrutualenv after renaming, but when I get to step 4 in the “Installation in virtualenv” instructions is prompts for a password for “homeassistant”.

Any idea where I have gone wrong?

I think I need to see the exact command you typed and the exact response before I could hazard a guess.:disappointed:

sorry, yes you are right, that was too vague a question.

the error was when running the line from Step 4:

$ virtualenv -p python3 /srv/homeassistant

but after some hours I have just got HA up and running again.

I had to re-install virtualenv using the command mentioned in Step 0:

$ sudo pip3 install --upgrade virtualenv

then all went through ok after that as per the steps on that page. The auto start was already in place so just needed to reboot.

(I assumed it would update to the latest python version, 3.6.x, but it appears to gave updated to only3.5, I guess this version should be valid for a while in HA though)

To detail, I used the AIO installer to install HA originally, and after following the link to upgrade to Stretch I then used the following commands, which after the reboot bought HA back up as it was before:

sudo mv /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv_old
sudo pip3 install --upgrade virtualenv
sudo su -s /bin/bash homeassistant
virtualenv -p python3 /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv
source /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/bin/activate
pip3 install --upgrade homeassistant
sudo systemctl enable home-assistant.service
sudo reboot

2 Likes

My current setup is prior to Dec2016 so my folder is hass instead of homeassistant so I would assume I would make the first line as “sudo mv /srv/hass/hass_venv /srv/hass/hass_venv_old” but do I then change to using homeassistant for the following steps or still use hass? Not sure what my configuration is expecting? Has anyone done this that is still using the prior Dec2016 version of hass?