Raspberry Pi 3 [Need help]

Hi all, i do not have a Raspberry pi 3 yet but would like to know how it works as i am about to buy it together with a google mini.

1. First thing i’d like to know is how to configure the raspberry pi as i do not have a extra screen/monitor - will plugging in to my laptop work?

2. Next is if i want it to automate things, i’d like it to be 24 hour but how does that work? [I am assuming everyone’s pi is on 24 hour standby even if we are not at home] Can i just connect the raspberry pi to my power source and not connect to anything else and it’ll perform the functions as usual? meaning no need for monitor for it to automate [only require a screen if i want to connect to it?]

i am sorry for this extremely beginner questions but would like it if someone can point me in the right direction as i am about to buy a google home mini and a raspberry pi just for home assistant.

Thanks for reading and appreciate any response/help from the members.

You can take the micro SD card out of your pi and configure everything for the first set up there. After that, you can connect remotely to your pi and make the changes on your laptop whilst the pi is sitting in the corener of the room, connected to the network.

I have my pi connected via ethernet, though it is possible to set it up via wifi instead. See the set up link here:

This part was pretty straight forward!

Hi james,

now i understand how it works, i shall proceed to buy it now!! Can’t wait to get started, only needed that information and i will figure out the rest once i get my hand on a running hass.io!

thanks a lot

Edit: by the way, what micro SD card size would you guys recommend?

I have a 16Gb which is probably overkill; depends if you plan on using it for anything else. I’d say 8Gb would be plenty.

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root        15G  2.6G   12G  19% /
devtmpfs        213M     0  213M   0% /dev
tmpfs           218M     0  218M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           218M   23M  196M  11% /run
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           218M     0  218M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1   42M   21M   21M  51% /boot
tmpfs            44M     0   44M   0% /run/user/1000

You don’t need a monitor/screen to configure it. Just connect it to your TV’s HDMI. When done you don’t need the TV connected but if you want/need leave it connected so you can control the TV via CEC.