Raspberry pi 3b+ SSD drive

Can anyone please assist me with the installation of home assistant on raspberry pi3b+ with an SSD

How to Boot a Raspberry Pi From SSD and Use It for Permanent Storage.

Thanks will try this

So the gist of this seem to be (for RPi 3 in general):

• add program_usb_boot_mode=1 to /boot/config.txt
  • restart
  • run vcgencmd otp_dump | grep 17 to confirm that USB boot is enabled. If the command returns 17:3020000a, then supposedly you’re good to remove the SD card and boot from SSD.

In practice, I was not able to boot without an SD card:

• My SD card already had a HA install configured (with latest updates: HA OS 9.2 and HA 2022.10.4)
  • I flashed a new image of HA OS on my SSD
  • I performed the steps above and tried to boot from SSD only - didn’t work.
  • I put the SD card back in, with SSD still attached, and the Pi did boot, but my system did not come back up. After a little while, I realized that the install of HA OS had kicked in (presumably from the SSD).
  • Upon install finishing, I restored a recent backup (that was not on the latest versions: HA OS 9.0 / HA 2022.10.0)
  • My system came back up and I was pleasantly surprised that backup was properly restored, in particular all add ons were up and running. Only thing left was to perform the updates of HA OS again (moving from 9.0 to 9.2). While the update process seemed to work fine, in practice it did not: both the updater and the about page still reports version HA OS 9.0. I tried a couple times already, this did not help.

There’s seem to be something shady about the SSD boot, can’t really confirm is SSD is being used to boot or not since I’m not able to boot without the SD card. But the SSD seem to be in use. But versions of the OS are not being updated. All very confusing indeed, any suggestion on where to go from there welcomed!

Yes I have the same problem. The SSD will not boot

I am having the same issue, this is what I have so far:

1. put in SD card, boot raspbian apt update → apt upgrade → shutdown
  2. remove SD card → power up → SSD boot is good
  3. HA has some core update → update it → restart → will not boot

I am suspecting that the update of HA somehow is breaking SSD boot but I am not yet sure how to handle this, will follow up if I find something

Any update on this?

I am about to try this out PiB3+ won't boot from SSD - #16 by restless_owl

Hi. Exactly the same situation. HA boots from the SSD for the first time, the second time a black screen and that’s it.

There is an open issue at Github: