Raspberry Pi 5 Fan control

Hey!

I recently met Home Assistant and I immediately bought myself a raspberry pi 5 to start using Home Assistant. Now I find that me Raspberry pi 5 has quite warm (~50 degrees).

I would like to run my fan at a minimum speed. (5000 RPM) but I really have no idea how this should be done through Home Assistant OS?

Anyone have any experience with this or an idea how I could fix this?

Raspberry Pi 5 fan control:
“It is actively managed by the Raspberry Pi firmware: at 60°C the blower’s fan will be turned on, at 67.5°C fan speed will be increased, and finally at 75°C the fan increases to full speed. When the temperature drops back below these limits, the blower’s fan will spin down automatically.”

3 Likes

Have the same issue. The fan doesn’t run on pi 5 with HAOS.

1 Like

Same problem here. Simplist solution is to run the fan 24/7 by direct power. Not ideal, but neither is running hot.

I have a way to do PWM based on temp for regular pi. But I don’t think haos exposes pi pins for Python script use.

If anyone comes up with a tested viable solution, please post it here.

Bump, I need this. I added the ICE tower cooler and that has dropped temps but would be good to be able to control the fan.

I use this box, there is no fan, only a thermal pad. The RPI 5 temperature is on average 44.5°.

I figured it out whist trying to get the full speed from my NMVe…
I will try to explain as best I can.

First I hooked the pi 5 (running Home assistant OS) to my PC monitor. Let it boot up and you get the command line.

type login
then type vi mnt/boot/config.txt
scroll all the way to the bottom where it says all (you have to change to insert mode on keyboard, on my keyboard this was Fn Delete, but I guess they are all different).

When you are ready… These are the settings I have used. this means at 35c the fan will run at 175 until temp drops 5c. I have played with this a lot over the last few days, this I found keeps my pi5 around 35c all the time with very little to no fan noise

dtparam=fan_temp0=35000
dtparam=fan_temp0_hyst=5000
dtparam=fan_temp0_speed=175

Once you have typed in the above you need to press ESC on keyboard then type :wq this saves the file… Reboot and new settings should take effect. I will post screen grabs in the morning.

6 Likes

This is a screen grab, the first part i had the temp set to 45c with 10c change but the fan speed set ar 225

Thank you very much!!

1 Like

Thanks! Easy does it!
Temp was around 44 with only the heat sink.
It dropped instantly to 38.

What did you type in after login? I don’t think I set up any specific login for this so I’m not sure what to put

May i see your video? Thank