Raspberry Pi4 - Up & Running

Ohh… this just made it click that I think the 2.5" and m.2 Pi add-on cards sitting on my other desk are both USB3.0 ready…

what’s your path to the SSD?

Pi4 >> ________ >>SSD?

purpose built, off the shelf Pi addon? generic SATA<>USB bridge? other?

The native boot on SSD is not yet available on Pi4. So to test the speed with an SSD I used a workaround that I found on the Tom’s Hardware website (here is the link: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/boot-raspberry-pi-from-usb,39782.html). I followed the steps for Pi4 and now I am booting on SSD but still need a SD card in the Pi4 to redirect the boot on SSD. It is working fine so far… Warning: to boot, you need the SD card and the SSD… Of Course, I will implement the native boot when available on Pi4.
Benchmark I did (procedure found on site https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-storage-benchmarks/):
Pi3B+ with SD Card SanDisk 32GB Ultra:
Disk Write: 5.3 MB/s Score: 825
Pi4B with mSata Kingston UV500 120 GB:
Disk Write: 181 Mb/s Score: 7348

Disk is connected to the Raspberry Pi4 USB (3.0) via a Inateck FE2009 case

I see… don’t think it registered that the USB-boot option of the 3 and 3+ had been rolled back…but for intents and purposes, I don’t really have an issue with mSD>USB boot. I’m mostly okay with the Pi reading the mSD til it’s blue in the face so long as most/vast majority of the writes are going to a more… robust storage medium…

That said… it’s not like I won’t go pure USB when support is reintroduced.

UPDATE:
Having issues with temperature and the CPU throttling back, looks like I need a fan.

could you share your sensor configuration about the cpu throttled state? Also undervoltage would be interesting.

Edit: it’s this right: https://github.com/custom-components/sensor.rpi_power

No its a script I did using the vcgencmd command and updating via json using a crontab, probably does the same not looked at that custom component.

My pi 4 went down from around 75 C with the genuine case and heatsinks to around 68 C with a metal case and heatsinks.

Only when it takes a snapshot the temperature rises to around 85 C.

Does your rpi4 seem slow? Ring videos play even slower than on the rpi3b+ and the damn thing is hot. sits at around 60-65C with a small heatsink attached.

Have any Pi4 owners run a Hass benchmark? If so mind sharing the results please?

Benchmark info:

This on a Pi4 with 4GB of ram, however HassIO can only use 1GB currently

good to know, do you have a source for that information?

i can show you a screenshot from my build, shows only 1GB of ram.

ok, no I believe you, let’s hope we can soon use the full 4GB RAM

1 Like

Nice that’s over twice as fast as I was getting with my Pi3

It would be nice is anyone running HA under Venc could add async benchmarks for the Pi4 also, I guess it’s going to be around 3.3 seconds

I would not say it’s slow but also wound not say the is a massive improvement either.

I have solved the overheating issue by getting a FLIRC Metal Case, not cheap but I am worth it. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you. for the benchmark info.

Its faster then my currant Hassio box an old Zotac HD-ND01-U. that clocked in at 8.1 something.

FYI the memory problem is fixed: