Raspberry Pi4 with Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 (hardware workaround)

Hello,

I want to file another hardware solution.

It is a known issue, that Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 doesn’t work with the USB slots of the Raspberry Pi4. The RPi4 refuses to connect. It is said that, the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 doesn’t fully hold to the specs of USB.

It has been observed somewhere else, that the stick connects, when using a cheap USB hub. I payed 5 Euro on Amazon for the VKUSRA USB Hub, 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub Ultra Slim.

Does work great so far. The stick is recognised. I get the Z-Wave JS integration suggested by HA.

I don’t know, if the internal battery of the stick is rechargeable and if the USB-hub supports this, though. Could not find out specific details.

Maybe this is of help to anybody

Although went the other way and fixed the hardware fault of my Gen5, FYI, the device does have an internal rechargeable battery. When first connected the LEDs will glow YELLOW until charged, then go GREEN.

With Z-Wave JS & HASS, the battery is never used as the pair button is not supported.

A very cheap hub does look easier!

1 Like

Great!

You managed a hardware fix on such a tiny stick?!

Nice to hear, the internal battery is rechargeable. Hope the cheap USB hub provides the power to do it.