Raspberry won't start after upgrade to 2024.6.2

Hi,

I am using the Raspberry Pi Imager with a Pi 5 to install Home Assistant. Today, Home Assistant offered me an upgrade which I did. After the upgrade Home Assistant didn’t boot anymore.

I see the following error message:
BOOT ERROR: code 7 - 'Kernel or device-tree not found or is not compatible'

This is the second time that this happened after an upgrade. I usually just reinstall my formatting the SD / installing Home Assistant again with the image tool.

1. Can I still fix the installation or do I have to reinstall?
  2. Why does this keep happening? It does not look like that the problem is related to any configuration in Home Assistant but something with the Kernel image?

Looks like a hardware disk failure - the RPi5 can’t see key files on the /boot partition.

Reformatting and reinstalling works… until the underlying bad disk fails again.

Realistically, HAOS is an appliance image so although it is in theory possible to fsck and replace missing boot files, get a new storage device, image, and restore your backups.

As long as you have a GOOD PSU and cooling (the RPi5 should throttle down if not), it should be reliable.

Cheap uSD cards with rubbish wear leveling gave the RPi a bad name, but they are less common now. A M.2 NVMe SSD disk is more reliable either in a USB-C caddy or on a Raspberry Pi M.2 HAT+.