Ratgdo - local mqtt control for your Chamberlain/Liftmaster security+ 2.0 garage door opener

@PaulWieland Any updates to this ? I have 2 Liftmaster 3800PLDs. It’s a jack shaft opener, I just got (2) 2.5i boards and are not having much luck. Happy to help troubleshoot. my wiring is as follows

Assuming the red wire, which is connected to 1, is connected to the ‘Red Ctrl’ terminal at the RATGDO: you should connect this red wire to the ‘0’ position at the Chamberlain.

Just installed on my Chamberlain opener (purple learn button) and am unable to control the light from the wall switch. If I unplug the Ratgdo, the light switch works, but when I plug back in, nothing. I can control the light from the Ratgdo… any ideas? Would still be nice to mechanically control the light.

Purple learn button means Security+1.0. Which wall panel do you have? There seems to be a certain amount of incompatibility with at least a few wall panels on Security+1.0.

From the matrix:

Security + 1.0 openers can report door status over the data line, but not all wall panels are compatible. ratgdo listens for a wall panel to communicate with the door, and if it detects one (such as an 889LM) it listens and reports the door status. If ratgdo doesn’t hear wall panel communication then it switches to emulation mode, where it streams the query commands necessary to get the door opener status. Emulation mode will cause analog wall panels (e.g. 78LM) to not be able to control the lights or lockout the wireless remotes because their analog commands will be ignored by the door opener.

I’m not sure I’ve seen any options to really fix it yet besides buying a more compatible wall panel (like the mentioned 889LM). Some people have been asking to be able to disable emulation mode, though, in cases where it enters emulation mode but shouldn’t be, so maybe there will be a workaround at some point if Paul Wieland ever agrees to it. It may just depend on what kind of wall panel you have.

I just got my ratgdos today and was installing on my Craftsman purple button GDO - when the ratgdo is connected, I cannot close the garage door from the panel and I can’t control the garage door at all from the HA either. The wall panel I have is this - is it then necessary to switch out this wall panel or is there something else that might be wrong? I checked and double checked the wiring along with some videos I saw online - seems pretty straightforward - so not sure what the issue might be.

The wiring is pretty straightforward, but sometimes loose (even if you don’t think they are) connections can be the devil. If it’s not the wiring, do your logs say anything that might be helpful?

On another note, looks like you have a similar wall panel to this recent issue that doesn’t have any responses yet. Have you tried it with just the RATGDO connected and not the wall panel to see how it works then?

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some help to add a door sensor to my ratgdo installation.

I have an old LiftMaster door opener (circa 1994). I wired up the ratgdo using dry contacts as this was the only option that worked.

In HA , the open and close work fine although it’s just a toggle because the open or close commands just open if it is closed and close if it is open. But the status is always reported as open. I assume this is because it’s an old opener and I am using dry contacts. Is that correct?

To solve the status reporting, I picked up a 433Mhz door sensor that sends a signal on open and close. I have a Sonos RFBridge which converts the signal to MQTT messages. I have already setup a binary sensor to look at the messages created by the sensor opening or closing and that is working fine.

What I am wondering is how to integrate this MQTT sensor into the existing ratgdo setup. The devices were automatically detected when powered on. So I don’t see any YAML configuration to see how it is working.

Anyone know how to add a door sensor to the ratgdo setup to properly report open/close status? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Nesan

Which board version?

v2.5 and later supports adding open/close limit switches. Folks generally just use hard wired reed switches. See ratgdo.

For v2.0, I think you may need to use separate sensors, and wrap it up in your own template: Template cover - Home Assistant.

Thanks jerrm. I have the v2.5 board.

Thought about the template cover but not sure where to start. Tried using the example and using the binary sensor as state topic but cover was showing unavailable.

I just received my ratgdo this week and got it installed. Thank you @PaulWieland for sending it—I’m sure you have a lot of orders given all the media attention.

I have one of the newer LiftMasters with a battery so unplugging it during install doesn’t turn it off. Install still worked but if I can figure out how to shut it down completely I’ll send a PR for the documentation to help. Cheers!

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year.

I have the v2.5 board and wired it to my old (circa 1994) LiftMaster with the dry contact setting (the other two didn’t work).

Every time the board reboots, it sends an Open command to the door. Because of the dry contacts and lack of door status, it just toggles the door - i.e. opens if closed, closes if open.

Is this the correct behavior? i.e. does it send a door open command every time it boots?

The reason I ask is that I see the board rebooting at random times. If this happens, the door (usually closed) is opened when it restarts. It is either rebooting or losing Wifi connection. I think its rebooting because the router is right above the garage door. Is there a way to tell if the board is rebooting or losing wifi? Either way, it’s causing me problems because the door can open on its own in the middle of the night or when I am away.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Nesan

My IOT WiFi has no password.

When I use web interface to setup mqtt if forces WiFi password entry, blank(no password) is not accepted.

Any ideas how I can overcome this?

I can’t see how losing the lawsuit (if it’s the one I found where GCI sued Overhead Door/Genie) would cause that. FWIW, the sensor on mine still activates the light, but I’m on my 3rd wall controller due to prior failures (including one where the motion sensor seemed to croak first). Eventually their wall controllers would go into a mode where they would just beep and flash rapidly and continuously and not do anything else (which was the point where I called support and got a replacement unit).

Mine is a circa 2015 torque-tube opener.

I can confirm that my jackshaft opener (will try to retrieve model number if you tell me that’s useful) does work with contact short and was/is security +2.0 on the remotes.

Guess it’s one of those “hybrids” you mentioned earlier.

I might be able to put an O-Scope (MSO) on the pins and capture the data during a myQ initiated (noisy) close if that would be helpful.

1 Like

They had to update firmware on devices that were sold after a certain date.

As I recall, it shouldn’t have affected anyone who already had it installed, unless it was a mistake.

Paul,

I received my 2.52i unit last week, and got it working today. My first go with ESPhome resulted in no sensors. It took a while to figure out the yaml needed to make it work. Anyway, I am really impressed and I thank you for your great product.

Mike Mahoney
Henderson, NV, USA

It looks like on at lease some myQ devices, there is a separate radio chip from the main MCU using SPI bus. (github PR link). Capturing the data sent between these two chips would be very helpful to implement a “noisy close” option.

Hi again,
So it turns out that the ratgdo is losing wifi connection. I proved this by simulating loss of wifi by disconnecting the ratgdo at the router.

That said, the ratgdo is still sending an “open” command when it reconnects to wifi. Is this the designed behavior? I can’t think of the use case for opening the door upon start up or reconnection.

Thanks
Nesan

@Nesan I tested this situation by blocking my ratdgo 2.5i at AP, and then unblock. My ratdgo does not send an open command (thankfully). I am using ESPHome firmware. Have you tried this firmware or are you using the original MQTT firmware?