Ratgdo - local mqtt control for your Chamberlain/Liftmaster security+ 2.0 garage door opener

Try to re-enable the ‘hide’ option and restart the ESP module. My WiFi reconnects.

Are you aware of this:

• fast_connect (Optional, boolean): If enabled, directly connects to WiFi network without doing a full scan first. This is required for hidden networks and can significantly improve connection times. Defaults to off. The downside is that this option connects to the first network the ESP sees, even if that network is very far away and better ones are available.
1 Like

Has anyone figured out how to fix this? I’m experiencing the same issue.

Even if “Open by voice” is turned off, it still opens it.

Just wanted to chime in: I was finally able to find time to wire up my ratgdo to security 1+ system, with analog door switch. It works great. I lost control of light and lock from the wall switch (as was warned !), but it’s no deal breaker. Control via mqtt works incredibly instantaneously. Thanks a lot @PaulWieland for creating this awesome controller.

Ok, so I can’t tell you why ratgdo’s cover entity doesn’t respect the voice code requirement with Alexa, but I do have a solution.

I added this to my configuration.yaml:

cover:
  - platform: template
    covers:
      garage_door:
        device_class: garage
        friendly_name: "Garage Door"
        unique_id: "garage_door_template"
        value_template: "{{ states('cover.ratgdov25i_id_door') }}"
        open_cover:
          service: cover.open_cover
          data:
            entity_id: cover.ratgdov25i_id_door
        close_cover:
          service: cover.close_cover
          data:
            entity_id: cover.ratgdov25i_id_door
        icon_template: >-
          {% if is_state('cover.ratgdov25i_id_door', 'open') %}
            mdi:garage-open
          {% else %}
            mdi:garage
          {% endif %}

This gets all its state and controls from the ratgdo device, but when it is exposed to Alexa (instead of the ratgdo entity), the voice code requirement works.

You’ll need to update the entity names to reflect your device ID (in the value_template, icon_template, and the two actions).

Hey Paul, received and installed my device (v2.5) and overall it is working well. However, I believe there is an issue with the code that doesn’t allow the device to reliably connect to a wireless network that begins with a special character. In my specific case, my wireless network ID begins with the special character @ followed by alphanumeric characters - The device sees the network and connects during setup, but constantly disconnects/reconnects to the network which triggers a number of false notifications and the entity becomes unavailable in Home Assistant. To reproduce the issue for testing, create a wireless network named @ratgdo and connect the device to it, you will see the device constantly disconnect/reconnect. If you rename the wireless network to simply ratgdo, the device remains connected. Can you look into this issue for us? I can DM the order number to you, if you need verification.

As I understand it, that’s not likely a ratgdo code issue, but something with underlying ESP / Arduino platform.

I think that’s a deeper concern than what Paul could address.

Have you tried the suggestions in this thread: Ratgdo 2.5i Wifi Connection issue · Issue #169 · ratgdo/esphome-ratgdo · GitHub ?

Thx for the suggestion, doctorkb. Entered the following commands in the YAML file:

esphome:
  name: ${name}
  name_add_mac_suffix: false
  friendly_name: ${friendly_name}
  on_boot:
    priority: 300
    then:
      lambda: |-
        WiFi.setPhyMode(WIFI_PHY_MODE_11G);

and checking the log files it is still complaining about the special character:

INFO ESPHome 2023.12.9
INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/ratgdov25i-xxxxx.yaml…
ERROR Error while reading config: Invalid YAML syntax:

while scanning for the next token
found character @ that cannot start any token
in /config/esphome/ratgdov25i-ca0eec.yaml, line 21, column 9:
ssid: @xxxxx

Apparently, enclosing the ssid name in QUOTES resolves this issue, or at least the ratgdo doesn’t complain about it anymore in the logfiles…

wifi:
  ssid: "@XxXxXx"
1 Like

That was going to be my next question… often special characters ($, @, etc.) indicate a variable or other token to these markup languages. Using quotes says “no, that’s my string”.

I’m also in the same boat. Connected everything, and all I have is the obstruction sensor. Im really trying to avoid going for the 100 dollar go controller, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if it’s a “your garage door will not work”, just put me out of my misery haha

None of the three of you mention which firmware you’re installing, nor your limit switch situation.

Are you all certain that you’re installing the “Dry Contact”-capable MQTT firmware?

Also, do you have limit switches installed? Without those, the ratgdo doesn’t know whether the door is open or closed, from what I see.

I had issues hooking mine up with esphome but was able to get some help on Reddit.com/r/ratgdo, I’d try posting your question there and see if they can help you as well.

As far as I can tell, the ESPHome firmware doesn’t support the older (non-Security+ 2.0) (ETA: and non-Chamberlain) openers yet.

If you’re trying to use ESPHome firmware with something that doesn’t have a yellow (ETA: or purple, brown, orange, or red) button, everything I see in the documentation says that’s the problem.

From here

Security + 1.0
purple, brown, orange or red learn button
or jackshaft models 8500/RJ020 & 8500C/RJ020C
Security + 1.0 support is experimental and may not work for all openers/wall panels.

Ok, I should have just said “Non-Security+”, because that’s what these folks are having issue with (from the same page):

Dry Contact control
(coming soon)

Sorry I was too specific. :slightly_smiling_face:

I finally got around to installing my RATGDO and it was pretty painless. Thank you to Paul for creating this solution. It’s so nice to have garage integration again.

I have Liftmaster jackshaft openers so I found this video really helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNQfslzReA As shown in that video, I used a 12v → 3.3v converter to get power right from the opener motor’s battery.

I want to buy another RATGDO but it looks like the only option now is the full installation kit? I don’t need a power brick, wires, etc… can we not get just the bare board anymore?

hi

got my RATGDO installed today

just in case you looking for a case i listed mine on
ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116066270648?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ET1Pa4lySIy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ET1Pa4lySIy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply…Confirmed! Button works just as it did before the install. Ratgdo works perfectly…just finished my second door install with the newer 2.5 version and it works just the same. Such a great product Thank you Paul!

Hey all! I have Linear gdos, so I need to use the dry contact method. I am using ESPHome/Home Assistant. I am able to update the firmware ota. So far, I have a yaml file that can successfully send me the open/close limit switches, but am struggling with the obstruction sensor and the switch. The problem with the obstruction sensor is that while it is initially correct, when it changes state, the ratgdo starts to report on/off/on/off… forever, and I don’t know why. Also, when I trigger the switch, it does something similar, i.e. close/open/close/open… forever, until I disconnect ore reboot. I am importing the v25iboard_esp8266_d1_mini_lite.yaml file. Does someone have a yaml file that works with this use case? I see that dry contact support is not yet officially available. I would be happy to be a guinea pig. Thanks!