Ratgdo - local mqtt control for your Chamberlain/Liftmaster security+ 2.0 garage door opener

This seems like a cool project!

Needing a new GDO I found a open box liftmaster 87504-267 for little less than $300 on ebay. Would this work with that?

Also after losing the lawsuit I believe they had to disable the light from turning on when you walk past the safety sensor. Will it be possible to set up a automation in HA that re-enables this? Also would it be possible to get the camera feed from the GDO to HA or preferable a rtsp url?

Yes. ratgdo can control and provide status feedback for any security + 2.0 opener.

Yes

Camera integration is outside the scope of ratgdo. I would avoid getting an opener with a built in camera and get a standalone security camera / nvr instead.

Thank you for the info. Would you mind sharing the dimensions of the board with the esp? I want to put the board in a 3d printed case so it wonā€™t short on the metal gdo.

Hi,

I have a v1.0 but have yet to install. Should I just wait for the 2.0 to become available?? (appears they are currently unavailable ??)

Thanks !!

The first batch of back orders for 2.0 boards will ship out the by the 12th of April.

Excellent ! I really appreciate the effort & creativity that went into this!! I had been out shoveling the driveway the other day for 30 mins or so, when myQ informed me that I had opened the garage door. Iā€™m really going to appreciate timely door notifications!!!

Bruce Cunningham

1 Like

Does v2 detect the status of the door without a connection to the rotary encoders?

Yes. V2 is a solder free install.

Hi,
I ordered a few of the V2 shields and arduinos thinking my garage door is newer than it actually is. For my setup, I just need to do a simple short of the CTRL and Ground to trigger the door to open, and Iā€™d just want to monitor the RPM1 and 2 pins if they are still wired in the v2 shield.

I know enough about arduinos and wiring to be mildly dangerous, and was wondering if with the current setup it would be possible in hardware to short the Red/Ctrl and Gnd?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

1 Like

Hello,

Quick question about the wiring docs. There are different methods for version 1 vs 2. Is the wiring difference based on a Hardware Version number or the Software version number?

I have a Version 1 board (with v2 software installed) that appears to be confusing the encoder signals using the version 1 soldering method.

wiring depends on the hardware. The installer specifically mentions that v1 firmware goes with v1 boards which have a blue pcb. You cannot use the v2 firmware on a v1 board.

@toastflyinginsectpie Iā€™m interested in trying to solve this for you. It will require a custom firmware but it might be possible. Iā€™m not sure if your vintage gdo sends door status updates over the control wire. Does it have a myq logo on it anywhere? Can you monitor the ratgdo serial log and then cycle the door to see if data is sent?

Iā€™ll send you a pm

Just found out about ratgdo. Looks like itā€™s only available to ship the the USA? Any chance I can get one shipped to Canada?

I ship them to Canada too via global post. Unfortunately the cheapest shipping I can find is $14

No problem on the shipping. International shipping almost always sucks. The github states ā€œShields are available and shipping domestic USA via USPSā€ and when I tried to set the country to Canada (or anything else) at checkout it kept reverting it back to United States. I think that might have had something to do with the address autocomplete. Choosing a manual input seems to work.

I really wish there was a more cost effective option, but short of opening a distributor in Canada, weā€™re stuck with $14 shipping :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll update the description to include Canada. I didnā€™t originally intend to ship international but expanded based on demand.

I just got my V2 boards and am looking into the best way to install them and be powered by the unit itself. I have a jackshaft model (RJO20) and have taken off the cover to look around. Iā€™m not an electronics wiz, but do have a multimeter. But before I do this, I was wondering if anyone has my model and has determined a good way to power it. I can buy a simple AC-DC/USB and hook right into the AC using the existing terminals or maybe coming off of the transformer. Not sure of the voltage there. I would assume 12V but who knows. I really donā€™t want to solder anything though. Thoughts? Thank you!

@PaulWieland Hi! I got the board hooked up using a power brick. However, as soon as I plug it in, the door opens immediately. And afterwards it doesnā€™t respond to any commands from Home Assistant. Is there any way to get to the device logs remotely without having to hook up a laptop?

Not yet, but it seems to be a common enough request that Iā€™m going to look into adding web serial. That being said, are you 100% certain your opener is a security + 2.0 opener?

If you can open an issue on github and paste a complete serial log from ratgdo from boot up to trying to open the door with HA and then open/close with the wall mounted button that will give me something to trouble shoot.

Thank you! I opened an issue on GitHub with a collection of log files.