Ratgdo - local mqtt control for your Chamberlain/Liftmaster security+ 2.0 garage door opener

FYI…Paul shipped me one a couple of weeks ago (Toronto, Canada). Took about two weeks to get here, and the status disappeared from USPS once it crossed the border. Canada Post didn’t seem to pass along the status (oh, Canada!), but it showed up…and works great!

1 Like

Learned something new - The wall mounted jack shaft openers seem to all be some sort of hybrid between security + 1.0 and security + 2.0. They are marketed as 2.0 and I think the wireless remotes us the 2.0 protocol, but the wall mounted button uses the 1.0 protocol.

I’m working on supporting them, which would allow ratgdo to support ALL Security + 1.0 openers. It’s looks promising so far!

It’s great to hear this about the potential jackshaft model support as I am installing two currently. I stumbled across your project last week before the reddit blackout. Glad you have an active thread here.

I believe I saw another commenter on reddit translate your code to work in ESPHome and he linked his own github project. Any thoughts on working to integrate or transition to that yourself? Found a link through searching github

I saw this ESPHome port as well, and am planning to try it out as it seems like the most ideal integration with HA.
I am wondering though, whether this project has the chance to be merged with the mainline ESPHome to get ratgdo officially supported? It looks like @bdraco may be owner of this port.

Just received and set up a 2.0 board yesterday. Works perfectly for my Liftmaster 7675 opener: lights, obstruction, and open/close state. I can’t believe how easy it was to set up. Such a beautifully engineered solution to an annoying hardware problem. Thank you for building this, Paul!

1 Like

Just moved in to our new-to-us place. The three garage doors all have Liftmaster 3255 1/2 HP openers. I believe these are Security+ 1.0 devices, but I’m not 100% positive. Anyone know whether the Ratgdo will work on these?

Take the wires off of your wall control panel and short them together. If the door opens/closes when you short the wires then ratgdo will not currently work for you. I am working on a revision that will support the older control protocol, but its not ready yet.

1 Like

Thanks for the rapid reply @PaulWieland! I just tested the shorting method on the wall control panel ports on the openers themselves and the doors did not open/close. Does that mean these are actually Security+ 2.0 units and should work? (If it matters, the openers all have purple learn buttons.)

With purple button, you should be able to open/close the door by shorting the terminals. Something strange is going on. Could you share photos of:

• the wall unit and
  • around the learn button at the back of the opener
  • maybe the model # of the remote

…?

I searched the photos of Liftmaster 3255, and looks like it comes with different shapes / sizes / (and even colors).

Thanks for the reply. I took the opener button itself apart and shorted the wires there and you’re right, it did indeed open the door. I was trying to short the terminals on the opener itself before and must not have been making a solid connection on my jumper wire.

In that case your options would be wider (than openers with Security+ 2.0) for sure. Do you have candidate in mind already? How do you plan to proceed from here?

Maybe start a different thread… because Ratgdo would not work for you, at least not yet, it seems.

1 Like

I just purchased two ratgdo with d1 mini after checking with the chart of supported openers (according to this I’m compatible - yellow button and use 877LM keypad). Before I soldered onto my board (45ACCL1) I wanted to test everything out and now I’ve run into problems. I’ve flashed both boards and tried them but neither of them want to give me status of the garage door or light. I double checked my wiring and noticed that I had hooked ground to the ctrl line’s white input, switched that to the obstruction ground and no change.

One weird thing I noticed was when I connect up the ratgdo the light on my wall button starts blinking, I press it once and it goes out, press it a second time and the door opens/closes.

I have the 2nd ratgdo on hand and I’m trying to get the logs, are these not stored after power off and is the only what to get them to have my laptop up on the ladder with me connected and powering the ratgdo?

Which version of the board did you buy and which version of the firmware did you install? Can you post a picture of your wiring?

I purchased two v2 models, here is an imgur album of the opener & wiring.

Edit: Here is the serial log (pastebin link because I can’t figure out how to upload a txt file for the life of me).

@bmorgenthaler sent you a PM!

@PaulWieland I just ordered a ratgdo. The website says there is a backorder. Is there any ETA for when you might be fulfilling current orders? Excited to get started with it!

1 Like

I expect all back orders as of today to ship by the end of September.

1 Like

Great, thanks!

Wait a sec, is the shield even needed if you’re not doing any soldering? You just need to power up the esp/nodemcu and flash it, right?

Be sure to save the value of the rolling code counter and set it again or the board will not be able to control the garage door opener.

Where does one get this value? If someone uses a remote and opens the garage will that make the saved value useless?