Ratgdo - local mqtt control for your Chamberlain/Liftmaster security+ 2.0 garage door opener

i did but if you take a look then my GDO is different when what usually seen.
how do you believe my wiring is different?

my setup is also inserted into 0-2-3 like on the picture where it states " Rest of World Security + 2.0 Openers with e-serial terminal. ."

the wiring is differnt there…

I wouldn’t rule it out, but I still have myQ connected to my Security+2.0 GDO (with the standard no-green-terminal wiring requirements) and have had no problems with the wired wall panel (I don’t use myQ with it myself, so I don’t know if it has had any issues). I personally have left the connection so that some close family members can have access to my garage when they come over. They have myQ GDOs so it’s easier to share access amongst ourselves through that since they’re not interested in real home automation yet.

I’m more inclined to agree with @doctorkb. Loose wires can be the absolute devil and hard to diagnose at times. I used a lever connector to splice the wires together so I would only need one wire per terminal to better ensure a solid connection (which I did achieve after finding a loose ground wire terminal on the lever connector XD). The pass-through terminals on the RATGDO are nice, but there aren’t enough of them for me unless I want to modify the wiring to my obstruction sensors.

Did you get this working? Just bought a place and I have an old garage door opener ('96) that looks a lot like @farberm’s

Paul, I got my board last week but I’m getting “failed to initialize” when attempting to flash it. (It sees the board and goes through a minute of “preparing to install” but then craps out.)

I tried replying to the email order confirmation but I’m not sure that went through. Any troubleshooting steps I can try? Should I just order a new board?

Thanks,
-Jude

Out of the many similar solutions posted on various topics and GitHub issues on how to resolve the ESP does not have enough space to store OTA file error, this was by far the simplest way to get around this. I changed my config to d1_mini instead of d1_mini_lite and removed the web server as shown here, which reduced the size enough for the upload to complete. Then I just removed !remove to re-add the web server and flashed it again. Done.
Thanks for this!

1 Like

I have a liftmaster 98022mc wall mounted / jackshaft GDO. I have not found any instances of people using the ratgdo with this opener and the wiki makes me believe that not all jackshaft openers will work with the ratgdo.

This is what the wiki says.
“Excluding certain wall mounted jackshaft openers 8500, 8500C, RJO20, RJO20C. Model 8500W & RJ070 are ok.”

I had a power outage a couple nights ago and teh garage door opened when the power came back on.
Using MQTT.
I think this is an issue that needs to be looked into.

1 Like

Anyone have any cards they created for ratgdo? I have the 2.5 version with esphome integration and working great to open and close my garage door and see the status of it again plus now can turn on and off the light though think the garage door sometimes overrides me turning it off. Anyway, i see in the HA entities that you can pull up a screen that allows you to control the percent open the door is. This is something i love. Like if I’m doing work in the garage and want it open 30% and not have to keep hitting the wall button to try and stop it love it. But not sure how to add that to my own card. See in the esphome screens on HA what looks like a has a position mode card and a button mode card you can switch between but not sure how to add those to my main interface. Ideally thinking would be nice to have a ratgdo card that does:

1. Open the garage door.
  2. Close the garage door but don’t if there is an obstruction
  3. Show an obstruction
  4. Turn the light on and off.
  5. Set the garage door to open or close ## percent.

you can just add the entity using a button card. it will show status using different icons and colors and allow simple up down. Press and hold the button and you can access a button/slider that allows you to slide to percentage open/closed desired

Thanks does this work on the iOS mobile app? Pressing down doesn’t seem to do anything.

mobile and web function is same

Thanks. Probably adding the wrong entity.

anyone got a good method of obstruction alerts? (but i dont want an alert every time someone walks past the sensors)

Option 1:
I’m thinking when cover.garage = closing
check the state for obstruction
wait 5s
if closed stop watching
if obstruction send notification

Option 2:
cover.garage = closing
wait for X seconds (usual time to close) for obstruction = on
then send notifcation
else do nothing

Any alternative suggestions?

if (cover.garage) == closing:
wait X seconds (usual time to close + ~5 seconds)
if (cover.garage) == open || (cover.garage) == opening:
send alert

In reality as soon as the door detects an obstruction, it’s going to reverse and then either be open or opening when you check. That way, you’re not looping constantly polling on the obstruction sensor.

1 Like

Hi mate,

How did you get this working. All my sensors and door works on a Merlin GDO with 8 pins however the garage door doesn’t update ubless I use a “query status” button. Ive been using an automation to run that button every second but it leads to crashes of the esp8266 eventually…

Just bought one of these and plan on putting it in. However, wanted to get some feedback from the community here on a question I had:

From a wiring-perspective, I see that I have to effectively wire the control and feedback IO that originally went into my liftmaster controller into the ratgdo, and then back out of the ratgdo into the IO terminals on the liftmaster to get this going.

Will I lose any functionality of my existing MyQ app or existing wireless garage door openers when I install the ratgdo? Or will the ratgdo effectively pass through all existing control and just supplement with its own control as well (assuming I don’t use the functions like disabling wireless remotes, etc)?

Thanks

Short aswer: The ratgdo will pass everything, myq and wall panels have full functionality. The signal passes at the electrical level, the ratgdo doesn’t filter anything.

Longer answer: You don’t have to wire “through” the ratgdo. I wire in paralell, I just plug the three wires from the ratgdo directly into the appropriate terminals along with the wall panel/sensor wires.

1 Like

Thanks for this. That was my plan as well, but wanted to confirm with someone with experience with it before I tried it. Thank you

In addition, I’m going to caveat @jerrm’s answer with “if your GDO is Security+2.0”. I assume, @M3Power95, since you were using myQ smart functionality that it was directly through your GDO, not an add-on device, so you probably do have Security+2.0 (I don’t know that Security+1.0 had that option otherwise).

The RATGDO is simply a hanger-on, mostly just listening to the chatter going between your GDO and wallpanel, and generally only talking itself when you send a command through it. The passthrough terminals are literally just a convenient way to create a parallel connection where parts of the RATGDO PCB traces are just becoming another part of the wires going between the GDO and wallpanel/obstruction sensors. I personally like making use of the passthroughs (in conjunction with lever connectors) so that I only have one wire going to any terminal, and I’m more likely to have a good connection if they only have one wire to bite onto (loose connections are the devil, as I keep repeating). You don’t have to, but it’s nice to have options.

If you have a Security+1.0 GDO, you may lose functionality on your wallpanels depending on what model they are, but if you are using an add-on device to add smart functionality like a myQ-G0401-ES, my understanding is that they communicate with the GDO like another remote. In which case, their functionality shouldn’t be disrupted if you still want to use the myQ app as a back-up, or in my case, for non-household family members.

And to clarify, I have a Security+2.0 GDO with the myQ functionality still enabled. I don’t actually use it anymore, but when I tested it after installing my RATGDO, it still worked just fine.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips, @foreverimagining. I’m almost positive I have the security 2.0 version because I have the learn function on my GDO, with the light, learn and lock functions on the primary wall GDO button (couldn’t find a part number for the actual wall GDO button, but it is identical to this).
Thanks for the tip on the ratgdo board terminals being pass through. I agree that I don’t like twisting and inserting multiple wires together into one terminal without ferrules (which I’m not going to do here anyway), so I’ll try running everything through the ratgdo and see how it goes.