Razberry and instructions for Z-wave

Hi!
I am using a clean Home assistant installation on a Raspberry 3 by these instructions:
Just got a RaZberry2 board for my RPi 3B:

1. Plugged it into the very first pins (#1-#10).
  2. Popped out the SD card and used USB reader to access on another computer.
  3. Edited config.txt to add “dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt”. Ejected.
  4. Put SD card back in RPi and turned it on.
  5. Went to Configuration > Integrations.
  6. Added “Z-Wave”. Set device path to “/dev/ttyAMA0”. HA said everything was good.
  7. Went to Configuration > Z-Wave.
  8. Press “start” and then nothing happends

Since this is a clean installation it should work unless the instructions are incorrect. I have also checked these instructions https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/z-wave/device-specific/#razberry-board) but they cannot beused since none of SUDO or systemctl commands does not work on hassios image file (https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/). The Z-wave card is working since I can everything to work with openhab. Any suggestions? I do not want to give up but soon I buy a new RP4 or switch to openhab.

If you start up the Pi connected to a keyboard and monitor, I believe you should be able to log in as root without a password.
You should then be able to run the commands in that guide.

That said, I think those instructions are written for a Supervised docker install on Rapsberry Pi OS, so your mileage may vary. Let us know how it goes!

Hi!

No luck. After local login with root (not asked for password) it simply does not work. sudo: not found. Probably not recognized. Tried without sudo then the response was “hciuart.service does not exist”. Raspi-config not found… I am really stuck and simpy cannot get it to work which is very frustrating when it works on Openhab (hardware is fine) so it is a configuration/OS thing…

Hardware:
serial:

• /dev/ttyAMA0

From CORE log:
WARNING (Dummy-5) [openzwave] Z-Wave Notification DriverFailed : {‘notificationType’: ‘DriverFailed’, ‘homeId’: 0, ‘nodeId’: 255}
WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave] Z-Wave not ready after 300 seconds, continuing anyway

Put the microSD card back in your PC, mount the FAT32 partition (in case it doesn’t auto mount) and edit /boot/config.txt to disable blutooth/wifi.

dtoverlay=disable-bt
dtoverlay=disable-wifi
enable_uart=1

After you save the edited file, eject the microSD card, put it back in your RPi, boot it back. Your Razberry card should now be available.

In the “Supervisor > System” tab, if you click the three dots at the bottom the the “Host” panel and then click “hardware”, what do you see listed?

Hi!

The additional disabling of wifi did not have any effect. Here is the hardware list. ttyS0 has been activated by enable_uart=1 but have not had any effect.

serial:

• /dev/ttyAMA0
  • /dev/ttyS0
    input:
  • ‘HID 0e8f:2519’
  • ‘HID 0e8f:2519 Mouse’
  • ‘HID 0e8f:2519 Consumer Control’
    disk:
  • /dev/mmcblk0
  • /dev/mmcblk0p1
  • /dev/mmcblk0p2
  • /dev/mmcblk0p3
  • /dev/mmcblk0p4
  • /dev/mmcblk0p5
  • /dev/mmcblk0p6
  • /dev/mmcblk0p7
  • /dev/mmcblk0p8
    gpio:
  • gpiochip504
  • gpiochip100
  • gpiochip0
    usb:
  • /dev/bus/usb/001/001
  • /dev/bus/usb/001/002
  • /dev/bus/usb/001/003
  • /dev/bus/usb/001/004
    audio:
    ‘0’:
    name: bcm2835_hdmi - bcm2835 HDMI 1
    type: b1
    devices:
    • chan_id: ‘0’
      chan_type: digital audio playback
      ‘1’:
      name: bcm2835_headphonbcm2835 Headphones - bcm2835 Headphones
      type: Headphones
      devices:
    • chan_id: ‘0’
      chan_type: digital audio playback

From the logg:
2021-01-24 09:04:33 WARNING (Dummy-5) [openzwave] Z-Wave Notification DriverFailed : {‘notificationType’: ‘DriverFailed’, ‘homeId’: 0, ‘nodeId’: 255}
2021-01-24 09:09:33 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave] Z-Wave not ready after 300 seconds, continuing anyway

With ls I get this (saying it is in audio?!?)

➜ /dev ls -l ttyAMA0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 204, 64 Jan 24 09:03 ttyAMA0

Interestingly, so does mine. Perhaps that’s the expected config… be good if anyone else can confirm.

For some odd reason I got it to work with the stuff below but it failed after reboot. I have had no issues at all with openhab. I did the following :slight_smile:

1. After you burn the HassIO img onto the SD card, you need to go to config.txt file and add:
    dtoverlay=disable-bt
    dtoverlay=pi3-disable-btt
    enable_uart=1
  2. Power on the RPi 3 WITHOUT the Razberry module. Let in instll everything (15-20 min). Log into it and shut it down again. Do Not include z-wave yet!
  3. After the installation is complete you can put the Razberry module back on the GPIO.
  4. Go to the Supervisor and install the ,File Editor" addon.
  5. In the File Editor add the following lines:
    zwave:
    ** usb_path: /dev/ttyS0**
  6. Go to Configuration -> Integrations -> Choose Z-Wave -> Use the following line for the USB path: /dev/ttyAMA0
  7. Go to Z-Wave and choose Start Network. The RazBerry 2 module should light up green and let you add devices, heal network and all the other things

I will not spend that much more time on this soon and give up. Will buy a Raspberry pi 4 and see that helps…

1 Like