Read old configs after crusted upgrade

Is there a way to mount an old SD (via USB) and read config files off of it?

I rebuilt the RP4 on a new SD, and restored a backup from a few weeks ago, but, I would love to grab some of the config yaml files off of the original SD. My Mac will not read it.

any thoughts?

If the old SD card is undamaged then the easiest way is to mount on linux. But surely there are ext drivers for OSX?

what is the format of the SD card and what are the filesystems on the card? (disk utilities on MacOS)

There is more than one partition. The boot partition is some fat variant (vfat or fat32 or something like that). However the config files are not there :slight_smile:

The other partitions are ext3 or ext4 as I understand it.

But anyway the files you want should all be in your backup, assuming it is recent enough.

the SD card (both new and original) come up on the Mac as a ‘unknown’ want to initialize .

I will try a Ubuntu box.

Yes, the files are in the backup, on the SD… yes I did a back up last week, no I did not download it.

I had one from Dec 26, which I am working through now… things like HomeKit PLUGS are a pain (FWICT)

• pull them out, HOLD BUTTON
  • Add back to HomeKit on Phone
  • Delete from HomeKit on Phone
    -Integrations -> search fro Home Kit, add, find PLUG, add security ID

back, and remove from SD, LPT

That sounds like an image backup. fat32 is the bootable partition usually /boot with linux kernel and drivers. The user files are on the other partitions. I asked what filesystems were on the card (i.e. list them using disk utilities and post). So I’m asking again. Also how did you create the backup - what app/tool/script/command ?

I use the supervisor snap shots, (AND for got to download the last few.)

I could get 90% back from the off device snapshot.

Must be a bad SD, as OS X does not see a FAT or FAT32 partition

What filesystems does it see on those 8 partitions that it sees?

Mac OS can not ID them. I will try Ubuntu later today, been working on recreating the magic I stumbled through and created before. (AKA rebuild)

Pi images very commonly use ext4 partition for almost all os, apps and data with a couple of hundred megs of FAT on the front to boot from. Ubuntu will read this without breaking a sweat, but mac users without access to a linux box can use ext4fuse. If you use brew to manage your packages you can brew install --cask oxsfuse then brew install ext4fuse.