Recognizing private network

Recently I found that ios app reports no access to my HA when I’m at work.
Initially I had various thoughts but then I opened app config seeing that it’s connecting via private network instead of NabuCasa.

Private network in my house is class C. 192.168.0.165 is address of my HA instance.

At work I’m connected to wifi network which gives class A adresss 10.0.0.0/8)

It seems that HA automatically chooses private network connection even if configured local IP doesn’t match connected network.
Worse is, there is no option to force the app to use remote access.

Can anyone comfirm that?

If you go to the App Configuration > Connection

Tap on the Internal URL and you can set the name of your local SSID (so that it will connect via that Internal IP when you are on that SSID) and make sure ‘Connect via Cloud’ is enabled.

Thank you. Didn’t know about this feature.
Indeed I had my work wifi added but no home wifi. I remember I was updating app recently being at work. Maybe it changed somehow on its own.

BTW when saving I got warning that URL is incorrect. I choose ‘ignore’ but still, IMO it’s false alarm

Are you on your local network at the moment? It will try to verify the IP address when you save it (obviously can’t if you aren’t home)

Yes I am at home connected to my local wifi.
I was when adding the wifi to home networks. But just after adding the config was showing I’m connected through cloud (due to previous setting I suppose).
After a while I opened config again and it seen it’s cganged to internal address.

Cool. Hopefully you won’t have anymore problems :slight_smile:

yep. Thank you for the support

1 Like