Recomendation for a easy to integrate budget outdoor IP-camera

Hi lovely people! I am looking for a budget outdoor ip camera. The problem is, that I am overwhelmed about the offer of ip-cameras on the market. So I decided to ask you about your recommendations and experiences.

I am looking for a cam with the following properties:

• outdoor capabilities
  • easy to integrate in home assistant
  • minimum resolution 1080p
  • wireless or with cable
  • no poe needed
  • no cloud connection

It would be great if you could give me your recommendations!

Thanks!

You don’t mention where in the world you are - which is important as brands vary widely between countries and markets.

For general tips, and US-centric specific advice, Rob TheHookUp is pretty through in testing which often exposes features you’d never thought about:

Outside the US, global brands like Ubiquiti have good HASS integrations, but almost all cameras are PoE as they are easier to install, even with a £10 PoE injector PSU. If you have >4 cameras, the extra cabling and space means you eventually just buy a cheap PoE switch. 24V passive injectors do work with some devices, but outdoor cameras often have longer cables (voltage drop) and LEDs (more power is needed) - making 48V PoE more reliable.

If your dislike of PoE is due to existing analogue coax + 12V cabling, just get a video codec box. My first was a PC + 4 port capture card, but upgraded to a 2nd hand Axis device, now replaced with PoE cabling.

External Wi-Fi cameras are usually very poor. Without wired power, they can’t use IR illuminators and need to sleep most of the time. With wired power, just run Cat5e and avoid lots of WLAN disconnected errors!

I originally hacked my Ubiquiti Unifi PoE cameras to give local JPG and RTSP feeds without a server, but these days, the Unifi HASS integration works well enough not to bother. Frame rates on Lovelace can be low on the phone app, but access to movement and light level events are useful for automations.

Beyond that, look for video standards and be wary of kit that is too cheap - if you don’t have a firewall to stop them getting to the Internet, you’ll never see what they do!

If this helps, :heart: this post!

3 Likes

I use these Amcrest cameras. Integrate well with the generic camera and Frigate. Affordable also.

2 Likes

I’d recommend something that supports ONVIF if possible if making HA setup as easy as possible is important to you.